Hiding VPP apps in Self Service

rick_cohen
New Contributor II

I have VPP setup for the iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) that is in place to assume the licensing for any new Macs that come onboard so users don't get pinged to sign into the App Store. However, there isn't really a use for the apps to be present in Self Service after that point. I don't really care if the apps are installed or not, I just don't want users to get bugged to sign into the app store.

Is there a simple way to hide a VPP app from appearing in Self Service?

1 REPLY 1

garybidwell
Contributor III

If they deployed via VPP "Device Assignment" then they'll never get bugged to sign in to the App Store

If its a new Mac you just need to make sure that the iApps pre-installed out-the-box are deleted (as they do require sign in on first run) and get replaced with the VPP versions
Just set your VPP iApps to autoupdate and users won't even notice they continually updated even if they don't use them

I don't bother putting the iApps in the Self Service, I just auto-install and auto-update them (just leave the Distribution Method as "Install Automatically/Prompt User to Install" and not "Make Available in Self Service") - the Prompt part of the first option gets ignored if its a VPP deployment