High Sierra restriction

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

has anyone setup software restriction for macOS High Sierra yet?

I had macOS Sierra restriction setup with Restrict Exact Process Name = Install macOS Sierra.app

and created a new restriction with Install macOS High Sierra.app

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I haven't yet, although our users know not to work from beta OS versions.

The only way to be sure is to download the beta OS installer and double check the name.

mcarver
New Contributor III

Yes, we made a record for each of these process names just to cover all bases: Install macOS 10.13 Beta, Install macOS High Sierra, Install macOS High Sierra Developer Preview, Install macOS High Sierra Public Beta

bburn
New Contributor II

Someone that has downloaded the beta, can you post the name of the installer?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app

Mr_Einstein
New Contributor II

@mcarver Do you think restricting those process names will cover you when High Sierra moves past beta and launches?

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

If you want to prevent beta installations this profile from Apple will work for that:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203018

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

c67281af22004d66ba7bbcf55e757947

That's me, catching myself out via the method that @emily just linked.

erickj
New Contributor II

So overall how many different installers are being blocked prior to High Sierra launching, and after it has been released?

cbartley
New Contributor II

@erickj, if you are referring to what @emily posted, it will block the installation of any beta installers for the foreseeable future. It will not block the installation of High Sierra once it becomes public release if you don't have a specific restriction in place for it.

itupshot
Contributor II

I'm assuming that the same restrictions I had for Sierra will work for High Sierra, but just change some details.

3922ac43ac00494d86017902eefd21b6
659d2e86853a40fcb0bfbfcc45be7025

antoinekinch
New Contributor III

@itupshot Are these restrictions working? I had a user successfully upgrade over the weekend even with this restriction in place. Hmmmm.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@antoinekinch the second screenshot should definitely work as InstallAssistant is the process name for the installer when it's launched. Even if someone renames the app, it should detect it. If you're not sure, you should test it out.

osxadmin
Contributor II

try unchecking "Restrict exact process name" and do:

*InstallAssistant* or *High Sierra*

the key is to Not use "Restrict exact process name".

antoinekinch
New Contributor III

Thanks @bpavlov I am going in the lab now to test different versions of this to be sure. Was just hoping someone had already!

znilsson
Contributor II

Can anyone verify that doing the exact process name does not work? There seems to be some conflicting info on that. I'm going to do my own testing but I don't have HS yet.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Exact process name works. I use "Install macOS High Sierra.app" for the name.