How do YOU document JAMF

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've been tasked with the pain staking job of documenting JAMF, how each policy works, what are it's dependancies like Smart Groups, EAs, Packages etc.

I'm intrigued how others have done it and whether anyone would be willing to share a template perhaps?

Obviously we use Code commit which is fine for techies but I need to cater for non techies too.

116 REPLIES 116

devibeck
New Contributor III

@mconners Thank you for the email and information!

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@PeterG How can I create something similar to your monster Wiki that is amazing work man.

srini
New Contributor

@mconners I emailed can you share me document. Thanks in Advance.

chase_g
New Contributor III

@mconners Im going to send you an email as well if thats ok

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @srini I thought I sent you an email yesterday, did it not get through? If not, send me another email, I will see if I mistyped something.

gabester
Contributor III

@PeterG Aah, yes, process is so important. @JarvisUno Process is your friend!
@mconners This is so popular perhaps you could just throw up a sample page somewhere abstracting out your proprietary secrets and link it here... might be faster than replying to a bunch of emails! :-)

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @Sterritt the replying has been super easy for me. I don't mind the time away from work to send things out.

itupshot
Contributor II

Like @jstillio, my team transitioned to Office 365 OneNote for almost all our team documentation. We created an Office 365 Group for the IT Team, and it automatically provisioned a OneNote group notebook. Then, every member of the team has access to this notebook from the OneNote desktop app, the web, the MS Teams collaboration app, and mobile OneNote app.

We create sections for each major topic. For example, we have sections on JamfPro, Office 365 Management, RHEL/CentOS, MacOS, VPN, etc. Under each section, we have pages that cover a specific sub-topic. Some of them are full-on step-by-step instructions, and some are just helpful commands and explanations.

OneNote has enabled us to have nicely formatted documentation with graphics, external reference URLs, and we can even drop in PDFs. It's been very handy when you're in the server room, and need to look up something quick from the smartphone.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@mconners : email sent.

thebrucecarter
Contributor II

@mconners I'm a little late to the game here, but this very topic just came up in a staff meeting, so I'm sending an email now.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

Nice work Peter G, seems like overkill.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@mconners I'm a VERY late to the game here! Very much interested, I am sending an email, Thank you in advance!

FChaudhri
New Contributor II

@mconners Late here too! Would be very interested in reading your documentation, will send you an email. Thank you!

mconners
Valued Contributor

Thank you Everyone for the tremendous response to my offer. I am more than thrilled to share what I have assembled. It was suggested I put together a session for JNUC 2020 on HOW I did the documentation I have. I am attempting to make that a reality. There were many different steps I performed and maybe documenting the documentation is a good next step.

joechang
New Contributor

@mconners Looks like I'm even later to the game. I would like to be able to document what has been done on our Jamf server so I can remember how and why things were done. I would also like to see your documentation for ideas and how others have documented their Jamf configurations, policies, profiles, etc. I will send you an email. Thank you very much.

JeyT
New Contributor III

@mconners I'm jumping in as well. Thank you very much for this. Will send you an email request. Thanks!!

techjason
Contributor

Now in this "interesting" time, I am also looking to better document our setup. @mconners I have also just sent you an email.

Thanks.

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @techjason & @JeyT I received your emails, I have replied and hopefully, you will find the information helpful. Stay in touch if you have other questions.

nunezjim
New Contributor II

Hi, can you also share a copy of your documentation? jimmynunez@northwesternmutual.com

Thanks!

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @nunezjim thought I would tell you, I have an email going out to you as I type this. Stay well.

jaybagley
New Contributor

@mconners I am going to jump on this as well, while working from home I am trying to document everything and it sounds like this would help a ton! Thanks for doing this! - j-bagley@northwestern.edu

mconners
Valued Contributor

Absolutely @jaybagley. Let me send you an email here shortly. Glad I can help out. Stay well.

mks007
New Contributor II

@mconners I would like to jump on this as well, I tried to document everything a while back and it sounds like this would help me out! Thanks for doing this mks007@me.com

Madmax85
New Contributor III

Hey, @mconners, I'm going to send you an email here shortly. Can you provide me with your documentation so I can look it over? Many thanks!

ryanbundy
New Contributor

Hi @mconners, if I send you an email would you still be willing to share your documentation? Thanks so much!

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @ryanbundy absolutely feel free to send me an email to, mconners@madisoncollege.edu and I will reply with what I have been sending others. Thank you and stay well.

bassic
New Contributor III

Hi @mconners sorry, but can I jump on the bandwagon as well? I need to document our Jamf implementation, and I honestly don't know where to start!

CVaghela
New Contributor II

Hi @mconners

We are also looking at documenting out JAMF instance, do you mind if I reach out to you too? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @CVaghela and @bassic I am more than happy to help you two out. If you haven't already done so, please send me an email at mconners@madisoncollege.edu. I will be sure to send it out to you.

Amadi
New Contributor

@mconners me too please :)

Jason33
Contributor III

@mconners I'll be emailing you as well. I am not the best at documentation, so having something to go off would be extremely helpful

nberanger
Contributor

@mconners Just sent you an email request as well. Thanks!

steadbe
New Contributor II

@mconners I Just sent you an email as well. I know i'm late to the party but am looking at starting the long process of documenting our Jamf instance. Thanks!

karthik_g
New Contributor II

@mconners Just sent you an email request as well. Thanks!

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Funny enough I post here often enough its as though I'm documenting my issues. Half the time I have a problem I'll do a search here and find that I solved my own problem in years past and luckily I posted my solution here. Lol.
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

SimonNZ
New Contributor

Hi all, I've just stumbled across this thread and after emailing @mconners I received an Out of Office to let me know he has retired.  I was wondering if anyone would please be able to share the document template? Many thanks.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Watched the video, but the comments are turned off and there's no link to his documentation which is what some of us would like to use to base ours around instead of writing 100,000 word version from scratch.

Garci4
New Contributor III

Im interested in this as well... 

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

So, does anyone still have the last version of @mconner's document?