How to change the default browser to Google Chrome?

jhuls
Contributor III

I've received a request to change a lab of iMacs over to Google Chrome as the default browser. The lab is currently equipped with Snow Leopard and Chrome is already installed. Safari is the default browser at the moment.

I've attempted to do some internet searches on how to do this but come up short since I'm wading through tons of sites explaining how to change it via the gui. Has anyone done this via Casper or are aware of how I could implement such a solution? This needs to be something I can automate as I can see this getting requested in other labs soon.

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

eukatc
New Contributor II

@jhuls you can set it up in the JSS as a managed preference (Managed Preference > Internet Configuration > Default Web Browser) and then if not done already setup the iMacs in that lab into a Static Computer group and just scope the managed preference to the lab.

View solution in original post

mark_sampers
Contributor

I believe the plist that holds the default browser setting is ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist. We create a modified dmg of this plist and deploy it to FEU and FUT. As you state, there are usually several options to complete a single task. Good luck. -Mark

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40

skypointer
New Contributor II

I am also interested in suppressing that Google "default" pop up. Has anyone found a solution?