How to clear device passcode with no Wi-Fi with OTA Supervision

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

So, we are thinking of testing the DEP in our organisation. However, since we are an educational establishment, we are working primarily with students from age 11 - 15. These students often tend to forget their iPad passcode lock (which is forced with a configuration profile on all student iPads). More often than not, the Wi-Fi on that device is also turned off, and cannot be turned on unless unlocked first. At the moment, the iPads are supervised via a Configurator machine. So, for the moment, we can connect an iPad in that state, remove the MDM profile, which unlocks the iPad, and then reinstall the MDM profile.

My question is, how does one unlock an iPad that is supervised over the air with DEP, when there is no Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi cannot be turned on on the device?

P.s. we know about the ethernet connection on the iPad, but it's not the "officially supported" way.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

daz_wallace
Contributor III

Hi @St0rMl0rD

If I may ask, what's the reason that Wifi cannot be turned on when the device is locked?

You should be able to turn it on from the lock screen using Control Centre (swipe up from the bottom-middle of the screen).

Darren

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Sometimes it can be, sometimes it can't be, and when it can, it often won't connect to Wi-Fi until the device is unlocked.

daz_wallace
Contributor III

Ah, in that case you may be a little stuck.

My understanding is that for an MDM to issue new commands, it'll need to be able to contact the device.

Possible (but probably not helpful) workarounds would be:
1) Use Cellular iPads so they always can connect to 'a' network.
2) If the student forgets their passcode, the device would need to be wiped.

I suppose the other question is what was their need for switching the Wi-Fi off? Or has it just lost it's connection to the Access Point?

Darren

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

That would be a question for the students, why they switched their Wi-Fi off, but they do; maybe to preserve battery life. No, neither of those workarounds are helpful :)

I think I've seen this issue mentioned somewhere before, but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can shed some light into the matter.

qhle373
Contributor

We have been toying with the idea of trying the ethernet connection via a Camera Connection Kit, USB to Ethernet Adapter, and a powered USB hub. I've seen here and there that it works, but we haven't gotten the chance to try it out for ourselves. I would be curious if it works currently.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

It works great :)

VCHS
New Contributor II

St0rMl0rD,

Would you mind sharing what you use? If one vendor works better than another, it would be great to know.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

LOL! I picked up everything needed to do this, and have not yet needed to try it out!
Here's the link:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12444

VCHS
New Contributor II

Thanks for the link Sandy. In the store I see Moshi and Apple USB to Ethernet Adapters. Has anyone tried the Moshi USB 3 to Gigabit adapter?

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

I would go only with original Apple adapters.

brianpaone
New Contributor

You can always DFU it to get past the passcode, then connect it to wireless to manage it. :-)