How to create a package in Self Service & Push a Policy to overlap legacy product

KMak84
Contributor

Hi Guys

Apologies on this as I am fairly new to this environment.

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with something. I have been tasked with on replacing Office 20111 with Office 2016 on all the Mac in the current environment i'm in. I have advised the end client to create a a package in Self Service but they tasked me with packaging the application and if I am correct pushing the software as a policy so it overlaps the current package. I just wanted to know whether this was possible.

The reason I have put this on the discussion board is because no one here has ownership of this.

If you guys advise me it would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Because Office 2011 and Office 2016 are very different with the way the programs and support files are organized, you can't just drop the new one in to replace the old (assuming you mean overlap = replace). You'll probably need to add a script to the Policy that deletes the Office 2011 files and folders from /Applications.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

You could do this a few ways. I tend to package Office as a .DMG and index it via Casper Admin, which allows for an automated un-install later. I haven't run 2016 yet and so can't be too specific, but I would probably create a policy that uses either that 'un-install' package I just talked about or a removal script "before" and then the office 2016 installer .dmg or .pkg.

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

Here's a script to uninstall existing Office 2011 components...

#!/bin/sh

osascript -e 'tell application "Microsoft Database Daemon" to quit'
osascript -e 'tell application "Microsoft AU Daemon" to quit'
osascript -e 'tell application "Office365Service" to quit'

rm -rf /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011
rm -rf /Applications/Remote Desktop Connection.app
rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.*
rm /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.*
rm /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.microsoft.office.*
rm -rf /Library/Application Support/Microsoft
rm -rf /Library/Fonts/Microsoft
rm /Library/Receipts/Office2011_*
rm /private/var/db/receipts/com.microsoft.office.*
rm /private/var/db/receipts/com.microsoft.package.Microsoft_*
rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office
rm -rf ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data
rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Office*
rm -rf ~/Library/Group Containers/*.Office*
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.*
rm ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.microsoft.*

A colleague wrote it, I'd have skipped the osascript lines and used killall. I'd also (and probably will) add lines to kill/quit Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook too.

Then you can install Office 2016.

I should add, I had both version installed for weeks with little impact on either. But I live dangerously and don't recommend it.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@cwaldrip I was wondering about that. I run both 2008 and 2011 side by side without much fuss. Still, I only use either one to trouble shoot the other ;-)