How to Deal with Local Admin Prompt When Uninstalling a Program via Script

cyborghere
New Contributor II

Hey y'all! I'm currently mass uninstalling an antivirus program within our environment. I got the script to run as I need it to but with one problem: to complete the uninstall, it prompts for a local admin password to remove the system extension. 

How do I get around this without going to almost 200+ computers to input local admin information?

3 REPLIES 3

mschlosser
Contributor II

assuming, the script, just asking for a 'password:' prompt, you could get around this by using the expect command. The same can be said for a simple Y/n prompt. 

Here is an example of how to use expect with the passwd command, 

#!/usr/bin/expect set USER [lindex $argv 0] set PASS [lindex $argv 1] set timeout 1 spawn passwd $USER expect -exact "Enter new UNIX password: " send -- "$PASS\r" expect -exact "Retype new UNIX password: " send -- "$PASS\r" expect eof

echo could also be helpful to overcome stuff like this. hope that helps.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

You need to mark the mark the System Extension as removable in your SysExt profile. if you didn't mark it as removal when first created the profile, create a second profile with the sane extension and mark it as removable. 

Tribruin_0-1721921769199.png

FYI, you can apply this in addition to your original SysExt profile. Both profiles will stack. 

cyborghere
New Contributor II

I will try this and report back! Thank you for the insight!