How to quickly locate places where a smartgroup, department, ... are used

Spillou
New Contributor III

Hello !

Everything is in the subject. I would like to know if there's a way to find quickly where a smartgroup / department / package or other fun stuff are used in JAMF (policies, profiles, restricted software, ... ). It's easier for me to check everything when I have to modify a smartgroup, for example.

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Spillou It doesn't include any info regarding Departments, but Object-Info is a tool that will provide the other detail you're looking for. If you'd like some other suggestions this is a common question if you do a search on Jamf Nation. 

Figures that Leslie would come up with something like this!  I've used Jamf CPR recently to move packages and such over to a new Jamf instance I'm building, and was just talking with someone at Apple about how it would be nice to be able to see where packages, profiles, groups, etc are scoped out.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Traditionally, we've always had to do this using scripts that use the API to cross reference all your groups, scripts, policies, packages and so forth to find out what's linked to what.

That said, I can't say too much, but something like this may be coming to a version of Jamf Pro. I'll just leave it at that.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You could say you have it on confirmed sources and name them that it was coming next week and I still would not believe you with the back log of feature requests that JAMF cannot seem to get through. But don't worry, JAMF can still buy companies to remove competition and never add the feature set internally. 

Spillou
New Contributor III

Thank you for those informations. I'll take a look. And yes, it would be wonderful to have such tool in a future version of Jamf !