I am not prompted to create a root password during MySQL install

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I have created and configured a lot of Jamf Pro servers over the years. While creating a new one today to use for testing, I ran into an issue I have never seen before. While following the steps for installing Jamf Pro on Ubuntu I am not prompted to create a root user password during the MySQL install process. I'm also not prompted to use legacy authentication. The Jamf article I am using is here:

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/technical-articles/page/Installing_Java_and_MySQL_on_Ubuntu_for_Jamf_P...

What, if anything, could I be doing wrong? MySQL installs. I'm just not being prompted. Even though I have followed this process many times I always pull up the instructions published by Jamf to ensure that I complete all steps and catch any new or modified steps. Fortunately I have a snapshot of my server so I can revert back to the base install of Ubuntu quickly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I should have mentioned in my initial post that this is a VM running on my M2 Pro Mac mini. It think the reason for the install process not working as expected is because of the arm64 architecture. I finally looked more closely and noticed the "doesn't support architecture 'arm64'" messages. To make sure I'm not making some doofus mistake while running through the steps I tried to do another install using Parallels on my Intel MacBook Pro. Sure enough, I was prompted for a root user password during the MySQL setup. I guess this 4 year old Intel MacBook Pro will be kept around for a while longer than I planned!

MySQL on arm64.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I should have mentioned in my initial post that this is a VM running on my M2 Pro Mac mini. It think the reason for the install process not working as expected is because of the arm64 architecture. I finally looked more closely and noticed the "doesn't support architecture 'arm64'" messages. To make sure I'm not making some doofus mistake while running through the steps I tried to do another install using Parallels on my Intel MacBook Pro. Sure enough, I was prompted for a root user password during the MySQL setup. I guess this 4 year old Intel MacBook Pro will be kept around for a while longer than I planned!

MySQL on arm64.png

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@howie_isaacks In cause you are, or anyone else is, wondering what architectures the MySQL database supports on what platforms: https://www.mysql.com/support/supportedplatforms/database.html

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for this. I was going to look that up but I decided to just give it a try. Oh well. My first thought was that I did something wrong. I'm glad I didn't.