iBooks caching on mobile devices - Workaround?

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

As far as I have been able to tell this has been a known issue since iBooks was released for iPad.

What I am having an issue with is I have teachers creating iBooks in iBooks Author and releasing the books to students, these teachers want to update their iBooks as they make revisions.
Unfortunately the iBooks app caches some or all parts of an iBook, so when attempting to deploy a new version the changes do not appear.

I've been attempting to research this, but I haven't been able to find anything since iBooks Author made the move to .ibooks files from .epub
Previous solutions I have seen that I have been unable to get working are:
Deleting and reinstalling the iBook
Changing the title of the iBook
Changing the metadata/css inside the ibook for title

None of these fixes seem to work for me.
I expect others will have seen this issue before, has anyone found a way to deal with this?

Excerpt from an article I have read on the issue: http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/2012/09/book-proofer-caching-and-ibooks.html
"Now, anybody who has been working with iBooks for the last two years is probably familiar with its peculiar caching issues. I first discovered that iBooks wouldn't show you the latest version of an ebook unless you both deleted the iTunesMetadata.plist file from the EPUB and also changed the value in the dc:title value in the OPF file. "

1 REPLY 1

ctarbox
Contributor II

I see this was originally posted in 2014, but here it is 2022 and I am seeing the same caching issue, where Books (formerly know as iBooks) does not show the latest revision of a book or document. Does anyone have any insight on how to resolve this without the having to go in and manually deleting cache files or having to recreate the eBook payload in Jamf Pro server?

Cheryl