iBooks in Mac lab (with no Apple ID prompt)?

wds
New Contributor II

Does anyone know off-hand if it is possible to deploy free iBooks to macOS without prompting the user for their Apple ID? This particular Mac lab is a shared user environment, so we'd like to avoid Apple IDs being used with any features of the OS. Also, we currently do not have managed Apple IDs set up, and that not be possible given time restraints.

I've currently got the iBooks accessible from within Self Service (which is fine), but users get prompted for their Apple IDs after clicking the books.

4 REPLIES 4

jtrant
Valued Contributor

VPP is the way to go here.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Users need to own the books, so purchasing them via VPP and assigning them to the users will work.

wds
New Contributor II

@cdenesha I appreciate the info. If a user uses his/her personal Apple ID in the Books app in a computer lab of shared-user iMacs, will the iMac become associated with that user in a problematic way (i.e., their Apple ID being associated with other apps like the App Store)? We're trying to avoid any complications that may arise when a users uses their personal Apple ID on a Mac that they do not own and are not the primary user on.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I'll have to let someone else answer, I thought at first we were talking about iPads. I don't have mac lab experience with iBooks. :(