Image Issues

bferguson
New Contributor

Here's my issue:

I installed OS X 10.9, setup local admin account, adjusted settings to what I needed them to be.
I created an image of it using Casper Composer and added it to Casper Admin. When I image a computer
using this new image it changes the local admin account I've created to standard and acts like it's a fresh
OOBE experience on the mac that was imaged?

JSS Version 9.62
Casper Sutie 9.62

Macbook Pro

15 REPLIES 15

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Are you using Casper Imaging as well? In Casper Imaging, there is an option to display or not display the Apple Setup Assistant on first boot.

bferguson
New Contributor

Yes I'm using casper imaging.. I'll have to look and see if that was selected or not. I'm pretty sure I had that checked.

bferguson
New Contributor

Ok just verified and Show Apple setup assistant is not checked in the Imaging

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Could you post the rest of your config? I would also make sure you're checking off to erase the system you're imaging beforehand.

You may also want to look into AutoDMG, it will build your images without you having to physical build and fat image a computer. You feed it an OS X installer, including when a brand new OS X comes out, it downloads all the latest updates and builds an image for you. You can then use Casper Imaging to include any software packages you want and Casper Imaging can create the local admin too.

It's widely used, so you can't go wrong using it. Latest download here and a great getting started guide is here.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@bferguson, further to @adamcodega's post on AutoDMG.. The below is an example of how I use Casper Imaging:

https://macmule.com/2014/12/21/my-casper-imaging-workflow/

The benefits of this more modular approach are that you can swap out parts quickly & when a new OS comes out, (Full or point update), use AutoDMG again to create a new OS.dmg & swap out the old.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

+1 AutoDMG!

Our workflow:
- AutoDMG OS
- FirstBoot script (cc @rtrouton for that one)
- Post Imaging Configuration script
- Dummy receipt

Policies are scoped to EAs that look for a dummy receipt with an Imaging Policy name tucked inside, trigger is a custom trigger in the JSS policies.

Love me some modular imaging.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

More on point with the concerns… does the configuration create a management account? If not, have you tried creating a policy to create an admin account on Enrollment in the JSS to hedge that off?

bentoms

@emilykausalik, you can create the management account as part of the configuration.

That's what I've done for years...

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

@bentoms yes it does! That's why I was asking if @bferguson had it set up to create that admin account or not, as a failsafe.

bentoms

@emilykausalik, doh! Missed that you were asking @bferguson & not everyone.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi @bferguson I'm a bit late to the conversation but to troubleshoot the particular issue you've got, I would try deploying the image to a target Mac using something like Disk Utility. This will tell you if there is a problem with the image or Casper Imaging.

That being said, I would certainly go for a modular approach if time allows.

bferguson
New Contributor

Thanks all for the replies. I will look into the AutoDMG for sure.

@davidacland if I image the mac in Targeted Disk mode from an ARD laptop it works as expected.

@emilykausalik I've tried it with the configuration creating the management account and also without and the result is the same either way.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Bryan,

I would spend some time thinking about, trying to use the OS as installed from Apple and using Casper imaging just to install/add .pkg and files were you need them.

You can do a clean netinstall from here
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202652

One of the downside of creating a base OS with Casper, AutoDMG or any other tool. Is that when there is new Apple hardware that will require a new base OS and then you have to keep track of them.

C

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

I think this might be a good link...

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11217

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'd be interested to see what you've found here. That's a really weird issue to be having as the file .AppleSetupDone has to be removed (Or otherwise made inaccessible) for the setup assistant to show up. This is my way of saying, something has been missed here. Now, all the posts regarding AutoDMG are good ones and most folks like going that route. However, if you're still into diagnosing the issue as it stands hit me up. I tend to deploy my own modified Base OS's as opposed to the automated route. There must be something in your process or .NBI setup causing this. However, like Adam mentioned; We would need a listing of your Casper Imaging configuration, settings and methods used for creating your OS in specific. There is an answer!