imaging problem and recon

Bukira
Contributor

Hi All,

I am trying to image a new imac and after imaging it doesnt get added to the JSS.

The imaging log list the computer as

Computer Deleted (ID: -1)

When i run jamf recon on the local box it come back with bad username and password

The image hasn't changed, the same configuration works fine on other computers, the log shows no errors

Any ideas?

Regards

Criss Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

14 REPLIES 14

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

I haven't seen this before, but for troubleshooting, I'd try deleting the
computer's record from the JSS and the Recon preferences from the client
then run Recon on the client and see if the issue persists.
When deleting, search the JSS inventory using the client's MAC address and
make sure to delete any matching entries. (you may want to record any
nonsystem data (username, location, asset tag, etc.) you may be storing in
the computer's record before deleting.

----------
Miles A. Leacy IV

? Certified System Administrator 10.4
? Certified Technical Coordinator 10.5
? Certified Trainer
Certified Casper Administrator
----------
voice: 1-347-277-7321
miles.leacy at themacadmin.com
www.themacadmin.com

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

Take a look at the Recon privileges section in the account Privileges tab. You'll probably need to grant "Add Hardware" and/or "Add Computers
Remotely" to this user.

----------
Miles A. Leacy IV

? Certified System Administrator 10.4
? Certified Technical Coordinator 10.5
? Certified Trainer
Certified Casper Administrator
----------
voice: 1-347-277-7321
miles.leacy at themacadmin.com
www.themacadmin.com

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Did you change your casper account password for the machines? If you changed the password for the account that casper uses for recon, inventory, imaging, etc then you will get that authentication error.

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
blackberry: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

ericbenfer
Contributor III

Criss,
Did you every get this resolved. I am having this exact issue after upgrading to 8.4.

--

Eric Benfer
ITSD – Macintosh Services Manager
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Rd
Laurel, MD 20723
eric.benfer@jhuapl.edu
443-778-4248 MD • 240-228-4248 DC
443-463-1664 Mobile

hermant
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. it is happening on 8.4 also. This seems to be happening with new machines to the district

tsd25108
New Contributor II

I recently had this issue and it turned out to be the Autorun data for the machine that was causing recon not to work correctly. Before I deleted it via the inventory page Recon would fail during an image and if I tried manually it would return a 401 error. After this it imaged fine. However, with 10.7.2 I had to ensure it was in a configuration so that the management credentials for the machine were placed in it, though I could choose a custom install and just install 10.6.8 and it would work fine.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

As a quick troubleshooting step, in the configuration preferences look at the managed tab, and ensure it has the right info in there. That is the info that gets copied during imaging.

-Tom

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I have the same problem

I previously deleted 4 machines from the JSS. I have a policy that reboot the machines out of hours to do imaging to that i always have freshly built machines every day.

When i look in the Imaging logs i keep seeing

Computer Deleted (ID: -1) Friday, January 27 2012 at 4:08 AM View Log...

Computer Deleted (ID: -1) Friday, January 27 2012 at 4:06 AM View Log...

Computer Deleted (ID: -1) Friday, January 27 2012 at 4:03 AM View Log...

Computer Deleted (ID: -1)Friday, January 27 2012 at 3:31 AM
If i click on view log i get

There are no log events available for this item.
The log may have been flushed for this item.

Flush Database logs are set to do not delete in the JSS

Lincoln
Contributor

I too have just seen a very similar issue to this. I've just imaged about 60 iMacs, mostly 10.7.2 but also some with 10.6.8. The logs say everything has gone swimmingly including the renaming, but about half of the machines were not added to the JSS and were not renamed correctly, they all wind up with a name like 'Base 1072 (4)'. The number in the brackets changes of course. On manually changing the name and reconning, the machines are fine. Others were in the JSS but with the wrong name. After renaming the machines I had to delete them from the JSS and recon them again to get them right.

Lincoln

Lincoln
Contributor

Tim,

I am interested in how you are NetBooting your machines on a schedule. Can you share with me how you are doing this? Off list would be fine, or a new topic so as not to hijack this thread.

Thanks

Lincoln

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Hi Lincoln

Have a look here https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3806.

I have support looking at the imaging log problem and it is a bug. I have been told to remove the problem machines from the jss. NetBoot them and select the relevant configuration making sure store imaging data on jss is ticked.

Will post results on Monday but my first test wasn't successful.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We recently update from 7.31 > 8.4 and we are noticing this as well.
No change to our image, or to the accounts, or to the process.

external image link

external image link

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

My problem was also that after the imaging process I would get a jss connection error as well as the computer deleted problem in the jss imaging logs.

I am glad to finally say it is now resolved.

I am knackered lol it had taken me ages and I have been working on this constantly. My test machine is about to die because of the amount of heat it is getting from constant rebuilds.

It wasnt a script but a combination of pkgs in build configs. The pkgs in my case were about 15 Photoshop CS5 plugins and a couple of setting pkgs to write to the user template to use a specific scratch disk for Photoshop and Illustrator.

What ever i did I could never narrow it down.

Once i repackaged the CS5 suites to include them, I dont have the problem anymore.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but we're seeing a flood of this error, even after upgrading to 8.62.

What does Computer Deleted (ID: -1) translate to in plain english? :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com