Install a printer with different PPD setting

soolooqu
New Contributor

Hello

In my network is an AirPrint Printer from an UniFlow Server (on-prem, not cloud).

When i'm installing this AirPrint Printer manually, the finishing settings are completely wrong.

But anyway, at the end i want to install this printer automatically.

1. So then i've configured under "Computer management > Printers" a new Printer.

Correct Device URI etc.

2. But when the printer is deployed, it takes the "Generic PPD" file. 

3. So i copied the PPD file from the manual installed printer & modified it (location: /etc/cups/ppd)

4. unchecked the "Use generic PPD file" & uploaded my modified file

--> But it still uses the "Generic PPD" file

what i'm missing?

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

If you enable the CUPS web UI, you can make modifications to pretty much any setting for a currently mapped printer including many things apple does not have in Printers and Scanners like changing drivers.

Running "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" will enable the WebUI. The URL is https://localhost:631/printers/. Select the printer you want to mess with and experiment. 

soolooqu
New Contributor

Thanks! look interesting. But how can i deploy this changes that i do in CUPS to everyone with JAMF?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Just like you would with any other printer. You are just changing the printers' properties, Jamf Admin will still grab that data when you add it to Jamf Pro. Printers and Scanners is just a GUI tool that macOS makes to manage CUPS, you are just editing the CUPS side of things directly.