Installing .app to Catalina and Big Sur

nikgio
New Contributor III

I'm trying to install Barracuda Backup Agent via JAMF to my macs, but the only installation Barracuda provides is an .app file within a .dmg.  In the past, I'd just capture the installation in Composer and deploy. But now with the wonderful Read Only System volume, I get the error that the package is attempting to install content to the system volume.

The installer places the app in the Applications folder, as well as some config settings in /Library/Application Support and a plist in LaunchDaemons.  I've tried modifying the permissions within Composer so they are all root/wheel and applying it to all enclosed items, but it still doesn't help.  Even manually running the package it creates gives the same error.  

This is going to be a pain moving forward.  Does anyone have a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@nikgio instead of capturing the installation with Composer, try just dragging the files you need into Composer as a new installer item (start by dragging the app in the /Applications folder into the Sources section of the Composer window to create the installer item, then add the other files). Creating a .pkg starting that way still works for Catalina and later for me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@nikgio instead of capturing the installation with Composer, try just dragging the files you need into Composer as a new installer item (start by dragging the app in the /Applications folder into the Sources section of the Composer window to create the installer item, then add the other files). Creating a .pkg starting that way still works for Catalina and later for me.

nikgio
New Contributor III

Great!  I saw this response in another feed and thought I tried it already... but tried it again and it worked!  Thanks!

nikgio
New Contributor III

Does this still work on Apple Silicon do you know?  Having issues again...

nikgio
New Contributor III

NM, got it

Just curious if you had to do something differently on Apple Silicon to get this process to work?  I'm trying to do the same type of process for a different application and it is not working for me and giving the same error.

Thanks!