Installing pkg to applications folder

user-voiZiJyJvM
New Contributor II

Can someone guide me or link to a resource? I have my pkg file (trying to put a webloc in the applications folder to then put in the dock). 

It is not letting me install this and is giving the error that "the package is trying to install content to the system volume." I am stuck, I've tried changing the path in Jamf Pro for the target drive to /Applications but that doesn't help....

What do I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

swapple
Contributor III

Start with the file where you want it to end up so put it in your applications folder.  Open composer and drag that file from the applications folder into composer.  you will see it make the file structure.  verify the permissions are root/wheel and not your account.  At the top of composer. create pkg.  Now when you run that pkg, it will drop the file into the folder structure defined inside composer.  Upload the pkg to Jamf and then make a policy to run the pkg.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

swapple
Contributor III

Start with the file where you want it to end up so put it in your applications folder.  Open composer and drag that file from the applications folder into composer.  you will see it make the file structure.  verify the permissions are root/wheel and not your account.  At the top of composer. create pkg.  Now when you run that pkg, it will drop the file into the folder structure defined inside composer.  Upload the pkg to Jamf and then make a policy to run the pkg.

chafe
New Contributor III

Wanted to check in and let you know you just saved me hours of troubleshooting. Totally forgot about the composer app and now all my apps are deploying no prob. 

Thanks man! 

user-voiZiJyJvM
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, that was my error. I clicked on "apply permissions to applications and all enclosed items" and that fixed it for me following your information about permissions. Thanks!