Installing Xerox printers via self service.

achristoforatos
Contributor II

I am attempting to install a printer via self service. It fails each time. I am installing through a policy which would install the drivers from a Xerox package then add the printer via Jamf to the print list. I have added the logs below. Any ideas?

Mon Feb 11 12:46:00 iMac jamf[331]: Failed to set the attributes of Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.plist: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 "The file “com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.plist” doesn’t exist." UserInfo={NSFilePath=Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.plist, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f85cbe04a90 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}
Mon Feb 11 12:46:03 iMac jamf[3387]: Checking for policy ID 85...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:05 iMac jamf[3387]: Executing Policy MS-MFP-809
Mon Feb 11 12:46:06 No Name jamf[3387]: Verifying package integrity...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:07 No Name jamf[3387]: Installing Xerox Print Driver 4.22.2.pkg...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:16 No Name jamf[3387]: Successfully installed Xerox Print Driver 4.22.2.pkg.
Mon Feb 11 12:46:16 iMac jamf[3387]: Mapping Printer PRINT-01-MS-MFP-809...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:16 iMac jamf[3387]: CUPS error 1034: Bad PPD file.
Mon Feb 11 12:46:20 iMac jamf[3499]: Checking for policy ID 85...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:22 iMac jamf[3499]: Executing Policy MS-MFP-809
Mon Feb 11 12:46:24 No Name jamf[3499]: Verifying package integrity...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:24 No Name jamf[3499]: Installing Xerox Print Driver 4.22.2.pkg...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:33 No Name jamf[3499]: Successfully installed Xerox Print Driver 4.22.2.pkg.
Mon Feb 11 12:46:34 iMac jamf[3499]: Mapping Printer PRINT-01-MS-MFP-809...
Mon Feb 11 12:46:34 iMac jamf[3499]: CUPS error 1034: Bad PPD file.

8 REPLIES 8

PatrickD
Contributor II

Hi @achristoforatos,

Looks like there maybe more than one issue here, first being "The file “com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.plist” doesn’t exist.". How are you going about installing this through Self Service? Are you using a normal user account on the machine or are you using the Jamf Management account? If you are using a "normal" account, check that this file exists /<user>/Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.plist. For reference, the permissions for this file on my machine are -> permissions: rwxr-xr-x(755) 1 owner: root group: staff

Next, the logs point at a bad PPD file. How did you add the printer to Jamf? Through Composer?

My suggestion would be to create a new policy with just the printer driver, install that onto a machine (preferably freshly imaged/built) and then manually map the printer. Once you have done that, configure and test the printer to ensure it is working and then use Composer on that same machine to add the printer to Jamf.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Pat

achristoforatos
Contributor II

The jamfsoftware plist is present.
The printer was added via composer.
But I found the printer would not install via self service so I placed the package file into Jamf admin. The issue really is that we use paper cut for print management. We are set up with a nomad login and nomad software to avoid AD binding. So printers do not show up when just adding. I have found best use is advanced printer addition via windows print spooler. I am going to test with the actual dmg rather than the package file I pulled off the dmg to see if that helps at all.

achristoforatos
Contributor II

So dmg didn't help, same issue except that it just moves the pkg file to the root of Macintosh HD an d still gives the error of bad PPD file.

spmcbride80
New Contributor

I had something similar happen with another software like paper cut. The macOS will only look for Secure IPP printing port 443. We had to create a listener in the software just for the Mac Computers or any of the PPD files would say they were bad when we deployed them. I guessed at the time that the install was checking the status of the "printer" and it wasn't available so the driver wouldn't load with the saved settings.

Xaviermlp
New Contributor III

nvm

We have Xerox printers and we deploy the drivers as a package, then we deploy a policy to "Map" the printer (you have to setup the printer in the Jamf Pro options). That policy is also available as self-service item for the cases we need to reset the printing system (right click on the printer in the system preferences, solves a lot of weird issues).

In case it gives you ideas :
3d13da55e78145e29bd09f202e16cfdf

achristoforatos
Contributor II

@Xaviermlp Sorry, what am I looking at? You got a gz to show as ppd?

Xaviermlp
New Contributor III

I point to the gz containing the ppd that was installed by the xerox package. And this allows me to map the printer correctly through a policy.

can you explain?  what you mean by point to gz?