iOS 10.1 & 10.1.1 Restoring and Installing Configuration

danny33c
New Contributor III

Anyone else seeing issues when trying to restore iCloud backups to iPads that have been updated to 10.1 or 10.1.1? A lot of iPads are getting stuck after the restore at "Installing Configuration from xxx", also "Your iPad count not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached..."

12 REPLIES 12

dan86
New Contributor

You might need check your firewall control on the open port for icloud/apple update. If not, can you just get an ipad that using iOS 10.1 or 9 and do update see if it passes through? From there you will know firewall blocked or not.

Tsang
New Contributor

Yes. A bunch of our iPads are getting stuck after the restore at "Installing Configuration from xxx". Did you find any solutions?

CairoJXP
Contributor

I'm having this same issue with two iPads currently.

danny33c
New Contributor III

I have a case open with jamf for this issue and sent them log files from AC2 and iOS Console. If you can capture logs and submit them to your TAM it may help them figure out what's going on. We are working around the issue by updating the original iPad to 10.1.1, getting a backup, and then using that backup for the iCloud Restore. That is assuming the original iPad is not so broken that it can be updated to 10.1.1 - If you can't update the original iPad you can also restore from an old backup to an iPad that is not in a pre-stage or jamf and then AirDrop stuff to the new iPad which has been setup as a new iPad in jamf.

CairoJXP
Contributor

I can't get my iPads (2 of them) to do anything. I've tried doing factory wipes via iTunes iPad recovery along with trying configurator with an IPSW file for iOS 10.0.2, 10.1 and 10.1.1 and nothing. One of the iPads is partly restored because the user is receiving calls on it. It also never properly registered in JSS via prestage during the restore from iCloud. It's stuck in an endless loop saying the update completed and it wants to set up the fingerprint ID. It ultimately end on the "installing configuration from..." with nowhere to go from there.

danny33c
New Contributor III

@CairoJXP Do you have another iPad you can restore to that is not in a jamf pre-stage? If so, perform your iCloud restore to that iPad and then setup your customer's iPads using "Setup as new iPad" and then AirDrop what they need from the restore.

CairoJXP
Contributor

@danny33c We need supervision on these iPads since it's middle schoolers (not customers) we're talking about.

mljones
New Contributor

I've got an iPad with this same exact issue.

sweaver
New Contributor II

We have had this problem for months. We estimate that 85% of our restored iPads get stuck on the "installing configuration from..." screen. We can DFU the same iPad several times, and then it will just work. SOmetimes it takes 3 tries, other times 10. It very random and very frustrating. Our students need to restore after screen breakages and the iCloud restore is basically useless at this point. Itunes backup/restore has the same issues.

Novak3
New Contributor

I've been experiencing the same issue ever since iOS 10 release, "Installing Configuration from xxx". What I've noticed is that the original (the users original equipment) Mobile Device has to have the latest iOS version and an iCloud backup of that latest iOS AND the new (the new or replacing equipment for the user) Mobile Device to which the iCloud backup will be restored to has to have the latest iOS version...

Scenario Example 1: Original Mobile Device running iOS 10.1.1 with an iCloud backup of iOS version 10.1.1 ....New Mobile Device has to have iOS 10.1.1. This worked for me every time while restoring the backup, it never got stuck at "Installing Configuration from xxx".

Scenario Example 2: Original Mobile Device iOS 10.1 or older with an iCloud backup of iOS 10.1 or older version... New Mobile Device has iOS 10.1.1. This scenario freezes every time at "Installing Configuration from xxx".

ktrojano
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We are having the same issue here. I've opened a ticket with Apple Support and they've told me it is a known issue. We are experiencing it when trying to restore a 10.x device to an iPad Air 2 with 10.1.1. Restoring the same backup to an iPad 4 with 10.1.1 works.

Kimberly Trojanowski

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

I recently have had this issue in our environment, here's what I did to work around the issue.

**Note, we have 2 JSS servers running and the issue was with migrating this users data from 1 iPad on the old server to an iPad on the new server. Both servers use DEP

No attempts of restoring the data was working at first and when the data was restored to the replacement DEP iPad, it got to the configuration screen for enrolment login and sat at the "Installing configuration from xx" screen indefinitely.
It turns out that even if the users data was restored to an iPad not enrolled with any JSS, it still contains the JSS CA cert hidden in the root trust store and since this cert did not match the cert on the new server, it would stall during the enrolment (likely) because it is trying to use currently installed CA cert for the JSS and being rejected. Usually this cert is downloaded and installed during enrolment, but seeing as this cert already "exists" it doesn't try to download and overwrite it with the new cert.

The way I got around this is by downloading the CA cert from the new server and loading it into a MDM profile and installed it via Configurator. Once installed, a backup is taken of the device and restored to the DEP iPad, it then enrolled successfully and it was on it's way off my desk.