iOS 11 and Lost Mode

MaciOSNerd
New Contributor II

Hey all,

Is anyone else seeing this with their jss? We allow all students/staff to update to iOS 11, I thought I tested everything, but we are seeing an issue with Lost Mode. I am able to enable Lost Mode, utilize all features (Play Sound, Update Location) however I am unable to disable Lost Mode through the jss. I am running the most current jss (9.101.0).

*I want to get it on the radar incase anyone else is having the same issue and a simple solution to prevent the iOS update till a solution is there (unless I'm missing something).

Error: "MDM Lost Mode could not be disabled on this device"

Current solution is DFU on the iPad.

iPads have no Apple IDs/ Using all device-based deployment.

Any sight helps, thanks all.

073c05d71403471695acbe76595691d3

47 REPLIES 47

MaciOSNerd
New Contributor II

*Note:
This is only an issue with the original iPad Airs. jamf is aware of this issue.

ipsict
New Contributor

We have this happening with an iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi (A1489) as well.
Managed student AppleID, DEP, supervised, and Config Profile for Restrictions.
Have been able to deliver update to iOS 11.0.1 while it is locked, but disabling Lost Mode still fails.
Also tried removing Restrictions Profile, and testing again still failed.

I know it is early to ask, but any likelihood of a resolve, without needing to DFU mode restore the iPad, in the next day or two?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

wha????

dwise
New Contributor

I've got the same issue with the same error message running JSS 9.101.0 and iOS 11 on an iPad Mini 2. Device in question does have a managed Apple ID.

eversom
New Contributor

We are getting the same error. If there isn't a fix, I'll need to restore. Please let us know if anyone has any ideas.

MaciOSNerd
New Contributor II

It looks like iOS 11.0.1 fixes this issue. Although if you have an iPad Air/ Mini 2 on iOS 11 that doesn't help with having to DFU, removing all data and updating to 11.0.1

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

JSS 9.101.0-t1504998263
iPad Air, Updated to iOS 11.0.2

Sent a Lost Mode command.
Able to locate, able to send sound, able to disable Lost Mode, despite returned error: "Unable to Disable Lost mode..."

Tried same again:
Sent a Lost Mode command.
JSS returned error: "Could not be put into lost mode ... ", But the device went into Lost Mode (Always enforce Lost Mode checked)
Able to Locate, Able to Send Sound
Unable to disable Lost Mode, despite successfully sending "Clear Passcode" command to device, so communication was working
Rebooted device, it went off Wifi.
Tried Sierra's Internet Sharing> USB iPad, didn't work (self assigned IP).
Was able to put the device into recovery (not DFU) and using iTunes restore, wipe and reactivate/DEP enroll successfully....

After re-enroll, record in JSS shows enrollment 5 minutes ago, 2 scoped apps install, but there is no "Enable Lost Mode" only "Disable Lost Mode" but device is not disabled. Sent "disable LOST mode" command successfully (which did nothing)

Sent ENABLE LOST MODE successfully (despite jss error) with sound, both worked
Sent Disable Lost Mode command, device was unlocked.

Rinse/repeat, worked as expected (successfully) with no glitches

so.... not reliable, but kinda works??

tdilossi
Contributor

I'm seeing this on an iPad air (original). The iOS is 11.0.2 and I cant get it out of Lost mode. This is a rather large issue in our district since we are 1:1 and these kids are always losing their iPads, AND they are all original iPad airs... The DFU mode is most reliable right now.. I hope they can fix this soon!

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Hate to add another but us too!

Hobbes
New Contributor II

I have been testing this with an iPad 2. I can successfully enable and disable Lost Mode on the iPad 2 (MF081LL/A) six or seven times in a row with 100%.

BUT......if I enable Lost Mode and then do an Update Location and Play Sound, both will complete successfully.....but I can no longer disable Lost Mode.

I can do anything, like restart, send sound, etc... so commands are still be able to be successfully send and processed. But if any command is sent while in lost mode I lose the ability to disable Lost Mode.

My only solution is to send a Wipe command, which is successful, and re-enroll in JSS. Then can repeat the same scenario. Can Enable / Disable successfully......unless I send a command while in Lost Mode, then all other commands remain effective, EXCEPT for Disable Lost Mode.

promalley
New Contributor III

Chiming in with another original iPad Air that is stuck in lost mode. Looks like i'll be DFU'ing this iPad.

Collin

Hobbes
New Contributor II

We did some more testing today and follow up on my post above......

On iPad Mini 2....can enable lost mode, send sound and disable lost most.

BUT.....when we enter lost mode and request updated location... that seems to be the constant trigger to make the disable lost mode command not work. We can send any other command successfully, except for disable lost mode after a location request. Only solution is to send wipe command (which is successful) and start fresh.

dnikles
New Contributor III

Same issue here with an Air 2 on ios 11.0

cparkridge
New Contributor

I have an iPad doing this also.

Model: iPad mini 2nd Generation (Wi-Fi)
Model Identifier: iPad4,4
Model Number: ME789LL
iOS Version: 11.0.3
iOS Build: 15A432

RalphyIT
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am having this issue as well any updates? Our devices are restricted to connect to any device so restore is my only option would like to avoid this. It's a student device that has a good amount of work on it.

hottingert
New Contributor II

I too have this issue. iPad Air with iOS 11.0.3. This is a student device with also a good amount of work on it.

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

Same thing here. The iPad Air is at iOS 11.0.3, and we are at JSS 9.101.0.

jwalters310
New Contributor

Add us to this list as well. I can't believe it has been almost a month and still no solution to this problem other than to wipe and re-enroll the device. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of this?

pwilliamson
New Contributor

Let me throw my hat in the ring - iPad Air 11.0.3 MDM Lost Mode Could Not Be Disabled on this device
We're running an environment with 300 iPad Air 32gb models.

No solution offered from JAMF? I'll be using DFU

mkunberger
New Contributor

We are seeing the same issue in our 1:1 environment. We don't use JSS to manage our iPads, we use Lightspeed MDM.

Lightspeed let us know that this an issue on Apple's end affecting multiple MDMs. Until Apple produces a solution, lost mode will not function properly on iPads that do not have biometric hardware (fingerprint scanner) and the only fix is a DFU reset for now.

I know I'm not offering a solution, but at least you know it's happening on multiple MDMs now.

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

Any idea if the new Jamf Pro 10 fixes this?

driggs
New Contributor

Can confirm Jamf Pro 10 DOES NOT resolve the issue nor does iOS 11.1.

jrobinson2
New Contributor II

I am also a LightSpeed user having the same issue. I can play the sound and view the map, but getting it out of lost mode does not work. Devices are iPad mini 2s.

However, Apple seeded iOS 11.2 Beta 1 today. I updated an iPad, put it in Lost Mode, and then WAS able to get it out of lost mode! It will be interesting to see if others have the same result!

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

I updated an iPad Air to iOS 11.2 beta today like jrobinson2, and I was also able to get the iPad out of lost mode. Now if only I could upgrade the two that I am having lost mode problems with without wiping them...

llloyd
New Contributor

So it's not until 11.2 when this is going to be fixed? Has 11.1 been released?

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

iOS 11.1 is out now.

WhippsT
Contributor

Still seeing this issue on ALL versions of iOS 11 on iPad Airs.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Apple could not get it together to fix this until release 11.2 ..... once more, they prove they have NO UNDERSTANDING of the type of chaos they create for us in EDU!! Grrrr.

SmokingGhost
New Contributor II

So I just tested this on a few iPad Air's running the latest iOS 11.1.1 and we are running JAMF Pro 10 and it successfully disabled Lost Mode. Just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone else is seeing the same results.

lcox
New Contributor

We are having the same issue running JSS version 10.0.0, with iPad Mini 2's running IOS 11.1 and later. This is a problem we have had in previous versions of IOS, and the JSS as well. I've had to restore the iPads to factory to get around this. Is there another way?

amandac
New Contributor

We also have the same issue with our iPad mini 2's. Any updates on this? I'm really not keen on wiping their devices.

lbilston
New Contributor II

Don't have anything important to add, other than its happening with our fleet as well. Mix of iPad Mini 2, Air 2s and Gen 5s . Only solution so far is to wipe and start again

EduTech
New Contributor III

Now that 11.2 came out this weekend has anyone tried putting an iPad that was stuck in recovery mode and updating it to 11.2 via iTunes? I have it downloading now and can provide an update once finished. Just curious if anyone has tried that yet?

UPDATE:

• That worked I put the stuck device into Recovery Mode.
  • Pushed the update via iTunes
  • Made sure the Pending commands were cleared and then sent a new one after to unlock it.

SmokingGhost
New Contributor II

Hey All,

I just update about 10 different devices we have to 11.2 via over air updates and sent them all lost mode commands. I was then able to successfully remove them from lost mode without having to erase them. I also got no failed commands like we use to.

The devices this was tested on were: iPad Air (Gen1), iPad Air 2, iPad mini (4th gen), iPad 5th Gen, iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.5

Hopefully everyone sees these same results. One thing I want to test as well is if we enable lost mode on a device that is not on 11.2 and it goes through, then we send the command from the JSS to force the iOS update if that will go through and if it does then once that is finished can we then disable lost mode. That way we don't have to potentially erase a student device.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Hi all,

Can you share the results of your latest testing? Is it still a problem with iOS 11.2?

thank you,

chris

hottingert
New Contributor II

I plugged the iPad into my MacBook and then opened Apple Configurator 2 and updated it to iOS 11.2. I then sent out the command from the JSS to disable the lost mode. On the screen it said it had updated the position of the iPad and then I was able to get in. Glad to see that this is working again.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Interestingly, I just had this happen on an iPad Air 2 running 10.3.3. We are on JSS 9.101.3, hosted.

I was able to configure Apple Configurator 2 with Organization and Supervision Identity, so gained access to the logs.

biometrickitd[131] <Error>: AssertMacros: err == 0 (value = 0x10000003), file: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Mesa_NonUI/Mesa-424.18/AppleBiometricServices/biometrickitd/BiometricKitXPCServer.m, line: 2542 FindMyDeviceHelperXPCService[236] <Error>: Error disabling TouchID: 268435459

This does sound like the biometric issue even though it is on a device with that capability. However upgrading to iOS 11.2.1 did NOT solve the problem. Submitting ticket to Apple Enterprise now.

chris

luke_reagor
Contributor II

We have an ipad air on 11.0.3 and can't get it out of lost mode either. Quite a bad bug...

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Supposedly there will be a fix of some sort with a new iOS 11.3 feature, so maybe this will eventually be a bad memory.