IOS 11 Apps *NOT* installing while iPad is in sleep mode/screen off

ALengyel
New Contributor II

Been testing new iOS 11 and seems to be working fine with latest version of Jamf except it seems that when the iPad goes to sleep i.e. screen turns off the apps STOP installing or loading.

Is there an option to turn this off or at least keep the ipad on until it's done uploading? It seems kind of stupid that it would stop loading the apps (quiet a few at the school) while I am staging the new builds.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

millersc
Valued Contributor

Which JSS is this on?

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Oh god, that's horrible.

Kevo99
New Contributor II

I found the same thing when testing iOS 11 in my environment and it seems to intentional to be a bug. The only way around it from what I found is to set the iPad to never go to sleep.

RyanSK
New Contributor II

This is happening to me too.
And its a nightmare.

This needs to be fixed

miregan
Contributor II

Is this happening on iOS 11 or iOS 11.0.1? Or both?

RyanSK
New Contributor II

I believe both. I'm looking at an iPad with 11.0.1 on it at the moment and updating pauses when the device is asleep.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Apple says this is fixed in 11.1 beta. Not sure when that will come out, but would be worth testing if you're running into it.

gavin_las
New Contributor

Hi all,

Bit of an old thread, but I'm seeing this with 11.2.5 and Jamf Pro 10.1.1

It's taking a very long time to roll out iPad apps because unless the iPad is left turned on long enough for all Apps to install, we are seeing them stop installing when the iPad goes to sleep or the screen is turned off. Also if our iPads are in cabinets and not being used, nothing will deploy until the user turns the iPad on.

Is this expected behaviour, and we need to ask the users to leave the iPads on, or go around and turn each one on for long enough to install all apps?

Seems like a manual process for what should be automatic.

Anyone have any thoughts, or experiencing similar issues?

Cheers,
Gavin

MDH
New Contributor

This is happening to me too.
And its a nightmare.

This needs to be fixed

miregan
Contributor II

This is by design by Apple. Jamf unfortunately cant do anything about it. Not sure why Apple thought this would be a good idea.

thejenbot
Contributor III

The same thing is happening for iOS updates. Users can click on Download and Install, but we're seeing that the update won't install when the lid on the case is closed. Which means that if we push out a remote command to update the iOS, it will generally fail because it can't complete the process with the designed one-two punch. There is a feature request to get separate commands - so that if the download has already completed we can push out a Install Update command, but for now we're stuck holding a ton of hands to get the update done.

chrleg1
New Contributor

I'm disappointed that I'm not alone on this - what a terrible design choice! And now I realize that I can't do anything for the devices that get left on shelves or in desks - if a user doesn't actively turn it on, I'm remotely powerless.