iOS 11 Slow app installs

Kevo99
New Contributor II

I’m currently testing iOS 11 on a bunch of iPads of various models like mini2s and Air2s etc and I’m finding relatively large app installs are taking a shockingly long time to install.

Pages, Keynote and Numbers being some of the biggest offenders with all three going at once I’ll be lucky to see other apps deploying thirty minutes to a hour later. My test iPads have no other policy’s and are clean installs of iOS 11.

The installs also suspend when the iPads go to sleep which is at a guess is “by design”, which is fine if they didn’t take so long to install because at the moment zero touch DEP hand overs are out of the question... oh yes when you take your iPad out of the box please sit there prodding the screen for a eon while three awful apps that I’m ordered to deploy and you won’t use installs...

I have also been experiencing other app deployment issues like some random iPads will error deploying some apps and not install them even if I click the retry button, report back to my Casper.. ahem... JamfPro server that they aren’t installed but on subsequent install attempts error out with “App is already installed”.... great and the only way I have found to fix that is by resetting the iPad back to a clean iOS.

Has anyone encountered this or am I just going insane?

3 REPLIES 3

blarry
New Contributor

I am finding not just slow installs of pushed APPs but also of system APPs like Mail, Notes, Calendar etc. It seems like a device now has to have the native applications installed when being configured.

mmessick
New Contributor

I have my configuration profile set to require iTunes password for all purchases which wasn't a problem since I use Self Service to distribute apps but now that is also asking for password. I don't give out the password to users in our buildings so this is a problem, has anyone seen this?

mahughe
Contributor

Have seen the definite slow downloads of most apps, and the native/system apps appearance to be loading upon reaching the desktop.

@mmessick if you don't give the password out to the users why not just allow the app to install from Self Service without the prompt?