ios apps not installing

bfrench
Contributor III

Trying to set up a new iPad this morning and many apps are not installing. Failing with an error of

No license was found for app ........

Anyone else seeing this today?9f480c8139354b17a1b9df7781302dd1

40 REPLIES 40

jared_f
Valued Contributor

What is your license count on those specific apps?

bfrench
Contributor III

we have plenty of licenses available on all of the apps shown - and that is only a partial list of what is not installing

rmuellenberg
New Contributor

Having this same issue. Plenty of licenses available.

Quentin25
New Contributor II

Havin same issue ! did you have found a solution ??

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Same issue, have had it for a while.

dssengooba
New Contributor

I have the same issue.

robertojok
Contributor

I’ve had intermittent success with apps not installing in OS X. One thing to check is if you had a previous token in the old vpp store... and you’ve moved to Apple school manager you may need a new token from asm...

robertojok
Contributor

Greetings Dennis Ssengooba hope alls well with you let me know if you get to the bottom of this problem

grangaardj
New Contributor

Did anyone ever find a resolution to this issue. I am experiencing this now.

rkruglov
New Contributor II

having the same issue and i certainly have enough licenses

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I'm just seeing this today on a couple of iPads. Self Service 10.7.0 was pushed out recently, hopefully not related

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Ok it was just for a few apps on a few devices and cleared up. Apple problem?

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

I'm seeing this today also. But only some Apps. So weird. Could it be a mismatch between Self Service (10.7.0) on the iPad and my JSS (v10.3.1) ?

hphan
New Contributor III

We have a similar issue with iOS app deployment, auto-installed and Self Service, works intermittently. The error is Pending - Application is not available to install. We try renewing the VPP token and refreshing the VPP content. We have plenty of licenses.
JAMF Pro 10.6.2. Self Service 10.7.0

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

FWIW, I have made some small progress by resetting an iPad, allowing itself to re-enroll into JSS, and then Apps begin installing. So maybe some iPads have a broken auth with MDM/DEP and so some Apps aren't installing? I hate that the workaround here (so far) is to nuke a device and force everything to download again, but at least it makes these functional. I hope it's not all my iPads, or that's going to be a huge problem. I don't have the time to reset 600 iPads in the 3rd week of school.

mlederer
New Contributor

I just ran into this problem with a single iPad (but hoping I'm not going to see it on another). Is there another solution other than resetting it. I had just reset this iPad today for another reason and then this resulted. I did put a new TomCat 3rd party certificate in recently but I am not sure if that is related. As anyone found the answer here?

Kkrawchuk
New Contributor III

I am having an issue where I try to scope an existing Mobile Device App and after scoping it to a Smart Group and click Save it just spins and spins, never completes and does not add the scope. The only fix is to re add the app in mobile device apps and re scope all the other and the new one, that works fine. Lots of licenses available, anyone else having this issue?

Chriskmpruitt
Contributor

Are you guys using a proxy?

listec
New Contributor III

This happened on 1 of of our iPads today. Very frustrating! I've tried unscoping/scoping the device in the App setup, restrictions, and layout. None worked. I tried re-enrolling without unenrolling and now I'm unenrolling to try that. Grrrr!

Krbonus
Contributor

@listec try refreshing the license, see if that works.

tomhastings
Contributor II

I have seen this as well during the deployment of a new iPad. If the failed (or sometimes pending) command was flushed and then I rebooted the server, all apps would install within moments. Jamf found an issue with our MySQL database and fixed it.

gatesp
New Contributor

I am having the same issue - in fact some apps seemed to have uninstalled as the count installed as went zero - I've been trying the "refresh" and update, but doesn't seem to be working.

lizmowens
New Contributor III

I've been dealing with iOS apps not installing for over a week now. We've uploaded a new certificate, verified that the right ports are open on the firewall, tried completely wiping an iPad and re-enrolling via a pre-stage enrollment from scratch, but still no success. I'm not getting the license error message though. My error message is that the iPad can't connect to the iTunes Store. When I tried to send a JSS summary via the JSS, it wouldn't take my login credentials even though I can successfully log into JAMF Nation. Very bizarre and more than a little frustrating for me and for our teachers who are waiting on apps...

NatalieG
New Contributor

Having similar issues with 1 iPad with just Google Drive and Google Docs apps. We have enough within our VPP (they are free anyways). I've tried forcing updates, hard reset on the ipad, renewing licenses, etc. I even removed them from the scope of the configuration and the apps are still present on the iPad, dimmed and "waiting...". Not sure what's happening, but it's really frustrating because the iPad was requested for a student that needed it right away. Looking forward to hearing of any possible solutions to the issue.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi,
UPDATE: We have determined that this is a firewall/filter issue. Weird how it affects only few apps, several Google apps but not ALL google apps, and a random selection of others.
Apple published/updated this on 1/9/2019: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201999
We have added these urls to our rules but still no love.
We have a ticket open with our provider and we'll see what happens!

We just starting seeing this maybe 1 week ago. Jamf Pro 10.9, iPads either iOS 12.1.1 12.1.3 or also tried iOS 11.x
Apps seem to be a similar bunch across multiple Catalog entries and different schools.
If the apps were already installed they work fine, but new setups fail to install several apps.
(But some apps install fine)

Google Slides
Google
USA Today
Doodle Buddy are a few that consistently fail... greyed on device and "installing" in jamf
If you tap the app on the device:
Unable to install "name of app"
You must purchase the app to install it
<View in App Store>
<OK>

I have tried adding licenses in ASM, deleting the entry in our Catalog and recreating it
Wiping iPad and starting over

We upgraded to JamfPro 10.9 before New Year and also did the INNODB conversion, and this was NOT happening after winter break, no other changes.

I have a support ticket open and have sent logs, saw this and wondered if anyone had resolved their issues @lizmowens @NatalieG

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hi @Sandy ,

We've been battling the same errors... where it only affects some apps but not all. We haven't been able to fix it yet. Have you been able to resolve the issue?

~Joe

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi @nsdjoe Joe,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201999

And from Apple Enterprise: The ACTUAL FX WAS:
We needed to whitelist bag.itunes.apple.com

We have Fortinet firewall, used their preset Apple filter settings. We found out that we could not wildcard *.apple.com, had to whitelist more specifically

tak10
Contributor II

Now, I'm having this issue. Did whitelisting the domain above fix the issue?

jojonas
New Contributor

Having same issue. Is anyone have any solution?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Have you reviewed this document and whitelisted all servers?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201999
We found out that we could not wildcard *.apple.com, had to whitelist more specifically

tak10
Contributor II

Yes, we are only having issues on particular network that is more locked down network.

Was Amazon AWS added to this list recently?

tak10
Contributor II

This article has more detailed information about firewall rules and whitelisting.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210060

nigelh
New Contributor III

I got this on one iPad out of 15 after migrating between JAMF servers.
I found I had to go into the old server and unscope all the Apps which had failed with the error as in the OP.
EDIT: Well. it helped some Apps install. Still some giving the OP error.
Second EDIT: I unmanaged the device from JAMF, then Erased it. Now every App has installed, eventually! Phew...
Third edit : ) Had the same problem with three other iPads. Unmanaging and Erasing them got all the Apps back!

Chris_B
New Contributor III

Hi All,

Ive been having the same issue. I will give the Firewall fix a try. However, what ive been doing as a temp fix is refreshing the VPP content of the apps under VPP Accounts in settings in Jamf. Give that a go as it resolves the issue everytime for me.

Cheers
Chris

kwoodard
Contributor III

I know this is an old issue, but I am running into it now. Is there a way to refresh all of the apps under the VPP content page, rather than one at a time? I don't care how long it takes, but I have several hundred applications on our VPP...one at a time will take me a significant amount of time.

jastrickland
New Contributor

I have just started seeing it also:  No license was found for app “com.jamfsoftware.selfservice”

Other apps are getting License not found.  Re-scoping does not fix

kwoodard
Contributor III

Been working with Jamf since freaking January 2023...still having this issue. I am checking to see if our firewall is causing this issue, but I have tried my test iPad from home...same result.

DwayneSJ24
New Contributor II

I'm currently getting this issue too. Most apps are now showing as ‘License not found. ‘ or ‘No licence was found for app “appname“.

We’ve renewed the VPP token, removed/readded app scopes and removed/readded Volume Content but nothing seems to recreate a consistent method to get them to install. The issue occurs on different networks too, not just the school network.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Erasing and re-enolling the devices isn't really viable as there are a fair few.

Thanks!

Matt
Valued Contributor

Having this issue too just out of the blue.