iOS behavior I cannot figure out

Randydid
Contributor II

Let me first qualify this question with the fact that I am not as proficient on the iOS side of JAMF as I am with macOS and only manage a couple of handfuls of iOS devices.

I have a small group of users that have managed iPad Pros. They are having an issue where they cannot access Local Files (PDFs in this case) unless they are connected to WiFi. The same issue occurs with external USB drives via a dongle.

I could swear there is a setting somewhere that allows/disallows local storage but I am having a brain cramp as to where that setting is and I currently do not have an iPad here at my new home office to test or try to reproduce the issue with. I am inclined to think that the files are not stored locally, or at least I was until they also tried to access them on an external drive.

I am sure this one is simple, but I cannot summon enough search term magic to find it.

TIA,

/randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Randydid
Contributor II

Hi,

I have got it sorted. UN-checking the following two boxes on iOS Functionality. Due to the way they are worded, it is not evident that these two items would cause this behavior, at least to me.

eb3adcd3358d4e8190e00db21aca575d

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@Randydid I don't believe such a setting exists. If the file is on local storage then nothing should stop it from opening. If they're seeing a "You're Offline" message then the file they are accessing may be on another medium such as iCloud Drive or Google Drive. Check the selected location in the Files app after tapping on Browse. Select On My iPad or the flash drive.

Randydid
Contributor II

Hi @mainelysteve

He says that he can see the files under the On My iPad while browsing but claims he cannot open them unless he has a network connection. They are on a construction site and do not have any WiFi. As soon as he connects, he can open them. Weird...

Randydid
Contributor II

Bump.Still no resolution for this.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Only other thing I can think of is if the iPad itself has an LTE radio(doesn't necessarily have to be activated) and the cell data setting was turned on for the Files app.

Randydid
Contributor II

Hi,

I have got it sorted. UN-checking the following two boxes on iOS Functionality. Due to the way they are worded, it is not evident that these two items would cause this behavior, at least to me.

eb3adcd3358d4e8190e00db21aca575d