iOS Inventory Update?

musat
Contributor III

Hello,
We seem to have some problem with our iOS devices updating their inventory. Of the 325+ iOS devices we have enrolled, only 9 have updated their inventory in the last 3 days. My iPhone (which should always have an Internet connection) last updated it's inventory back on March 28. I just tried pushing the "Update Inventory" Management command and got the "Device is busy" message. As a test, I unlocked my phone and pushed it again and the inventory updated properly.

So, with us looking at the new VPP license model and possibly adding 1200 iPads to our system, I am wondering what can be done to make this more reliable?

Additionally, for most of our devices, I can go into the device and manually push the "Update Inventory" command, and it will process successfully (as long as there isn't a passcode set). We have the "Inventory Collection" configured to run "Every Day". The "Date Issued" column in the "Management" tab shows a date, but the "Date of Last Push" is blank on all of the devices.

Our JSS is running on SuSE Linux.

Tim

2 REPLIES 2

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Hi Musat

Have you made sure your JSS and devices have a persistent connection to the APNS?
Refer to my post on the following thread to make sure your JSS and mobile devices have a persistent connection to APNS;

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10113

With our iPad deployment of about 200 devices here, I have not had an issue with devices not updating their inventory every day.
I have a smart group set to show me which devices have not and it's never above about 20 devices on average, which is normal seeing as staff/students do not use their device every day.

If the device is on but also hasn't been used for a long period of time, this only applies to wifi only devices as far I'm aware, it will not update as it disconnects itself from wifi to preserve battery power. Next time the device is used it will connect to wifi and receive the inventory update command.

Regards
Sean

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Tim,
I have the same issue. Jss 9.6.1 but the issue has persisted though a few updates....
I have 2200 iPads in my jss, and set the update to inventory every 24 hours. If I pull up all devices and sort by last inventory, usually only 25-50 will have updated spontaneously with the last 24 hours. Then there's a gap, and then a sprinkling checking in each day.
I can pull up a random smart group and push an inventory request and most, if not all (allowing for shutdown drained battery and off wifi) will then update. This implies to me that there's nothing stopping the APN. I have an external facing web app, and devices check in from inside and out.
I have mostly iPad 2's and they are still running both iOS 7and ios 8. Some are Apple Configurator, some are DEP, some are unsupervised staff, and none of these look to be factor, it is random devices.
Doesn't seem like a network or firewall thing, since then you would think the devices would immediately check in when they go onto another network. This does not happen.
I have occasionally run the script to remove pending requests, but this does not help.
I have observed but in general have not pursued this, as I'm in the habit of just sending a refresh when working on a task.
It would be awesome if they were checking in more reliably....
Sandy