iOS Stript to Disable Safari Pop-Up Blocker

jason_watts
New Contributor

Hey All, We are looking to disable iOS Safari Pop-Up Blocker via a script through Jamf to all of our users. We use a LMS that needs to open training content via a second tab and for some reason Safari Pop-Up Blocker is preventing this content from loading.

10 REPLIES 10

mbrown
New Contributor

Curious if you were able to find a solution to this, we would like to be able to do the same.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Is the Pop-ups block/allow restriction in a config profile not working for you? Since this is iPadOS you can't run a script on the device so it's either a config profile delivered via MDM or touching the device.

djrory
Contributor

@mainelysteve I think the question has been asked because the profile does not work. Safari continues to block pop ups even after it is applied. Try it for yourself and see if you can get Safari to allow pop ups on iOS/iPadOS. 782a4864efd04db5a5f283607232cd99

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@djrory Yeah, I've recently started noticing this. It's most prevalent with javascript heavy sites or ones that have bandaid fixes to work with mobile browsers(even if desktop mode is on).

tak10
Contributor II

Same issue. The configuration profile to "Allow Pop-ups" doesn't seem to work on iPadOS, haven't tested with iOS but I'm pretty sure this is the same for iOS.

christina_luis
Contributor

so how are we to turn this off? I have testing software that now has popups (why a testing website would do this is beyond me knowing how awful popups are). I now have to turn off the pop up blocking in Safari - on 967 iPads. My boss looked at me weird that they students may have to do these 4 steps on their own and wants to use Jamf to do it. what a pickle.

nadams
New Contributor III

I've been using Jamf for 5 years and have never seen the configuration profile to allow popups actually work. The devices always show that the popup blocker is still enabled.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

For what it's worth in Jamf School the setting is labeled "Allow user to turn off popup blocker". In Jamf Pro it's just "Pop-Ups" Allow/Block.

pkerobinson
New Contributor III

@mainelysteve Thank you. I've been fighting with this for an hour, and your post clarified it completely. The "Allow" option means allow the user to change the Block Popups setting from its default of blocking pop-ups, not actually change the setting to allow pop-ups.

That is too bad. Why would they not have a feature or app configuration setting where we can push this down to our devices. Apple needs to allow management system more control over the devices that are enrolled.