iOS Updates

zmurphy21
New Contributor

I know that there is an issue with doing iOS updates with JAMF. The last update I used apple configuration do to the updates on all the iPads in a cart at once. The only downside is you have to hit trust this computer. Is there a way somehow to get past having to hit trust computer on every single iPad. Just trying to make this a more efficient process as much as possible. Or if anyone has any other work around with this issue with not being able to push iOS updates, because it is definatley a pain to individually update every iPad.

5 REPLIES 5

Emmert
Valued Contributor

To what issue are you referring? I've been able to (somewhat) successfully trigger remote iOS updates from Casper. You just need to make sure the iPads are charged, have space, and awake. It's not 100% but I'm not manually touching each one either.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Like @Emmert I have not been having any trouble sending the iOS update commands.

@zmurphy21 Are you possibly referring to the inability to automatically update device assigned apps? JAMF sent us all a letter asking us not to use that, but it is fixed for iPads running iOS 9.3.1.

zmurphy21
New Contributor

It is not fixed for iPads running iOS 9.3.1 because I tried pushing an update yesterday for iOS 9.3.2 for an update an they all failed.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

We need to figure out what's causing it to fail in your environment, which might be hard to do without knowing more details. Have you already tried reaching out to JAMF directly? That might be a better step since they know more about your setup than we do.

The feature is working for other people.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hi All,

One thing I've noticed is that if the iOS update has already cached to the device, the JSS command is unable to trigger the install of that iOS update. If the update hasn't yet cached, then it works. Problem is, as soon as Apple releases the update at 10 AM-ish PDT it seems that devices want to auto-cache the update for users to install. What we plan to do is put the DNS block for Apple's update servers back in place and keep it there until the next update is released. Once Apple releases it, we wait until night/weekend and then remove the block just before sending out the command to all of our devices.

~Joe