iOS7 Free iWork Apps - how to deploy via Casper/Configurator?

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Seeing as Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, and iMovie are free on iOS7, I am looking for a way to deploy them to iOS7 iPads.

When I download the Apps on an iOS7 device, went into iTunes to download them from "Purchased", and then imported them into Configurator 1.4, they do not show up as free or deployable without VPP codes.

I'd prefer not to have to manually download them on each device. I am of course using the same institutional Apple ID which I use to redeem codes and deploy. Anyone run into this and have suggestions or a solution?

19 REPLIES 19

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Those apps are free on new devices. I don't think they're free for all iOS7. I'm thinking you'll turn on new devices and they're there like Safari, etc.

Anyone else heard differently?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

<<dupe post deleted>>

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

The device which I upgraded to iOS7 did indeed get a notification in the App Store when I launched it to install all the now free iWork/iPhoto/iMovie apps. The device is an older iPad, and not a new purchase.

I should note that in Casper 8.72 I was able to add Pages 1.7.2 to the App Catalog, set it as "Free" and was able to deploy it OTA with no problems. I did sign in to the App Store on the iPad when prompted, and used the same store ID as I used to initially download the Apps on the first iPad which I tried. I'll experiment and see if it works with a different iTunes ID.

Josh_S
Contributor III

I'm still showing those Apps as costing money. I think that the developer versions of iOS 7 were granted free copies of those applications, which were presumably linked to your App Store account if you were a developer so you would be given a license on your other devices. Also, if you purchase a new device you would presumably also be granted a license for use on your other devices, similar to how iLife has been on Macs for a while.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

The Apple ID which I am using is not my developer ID. Still experimenting.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

From what I read, these apps aren't free with iOS7, but rather free with any new device that ships with iOS7. Specifically any device newly activated after September 1 was what i have read. Meaning that just because a device has been upgraded to iOS7 you don't get those apps free. This was detailed in a Macworld article I believe.

RaulSantos
Contributor

I am still showing a price not free. I think its only with a new device.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Hmmm that is interesting, because this batch of 10 iPad4s was purchased months ago, yet I got prompted to install the Apps for free after updating them to iOS7. Adding Pages 1.7.2, Numbers 1.7.3, Keynote 1.7.2, iMovie 1.4.2, and iPhoto 1.1.1 to Casper, setting them as Free, and deploying them OTA to iOS7 devices works no problem.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

They may have been purchased months ago, but when were they activated? As I said, I think the date of first activation has something to do with whether you get prompted to download the apps.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Aha I see. On my iOS7 iPhone they do indeed show up as costing money. These iPads were never activated prior to updating them to iOS7. This is actually good news, as we have several orders of iPads in our warehouse awaiting activation and assignment. They will all be updated to iOS7 prior to activation.

I'm not sure why Casper lets me set these Apps as free and deploy them. Is this a bug?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I don't think those apps will deploy as free to a device activated before September 1 that is then upgraded to iOS 7.

This is what I got from my Apple SE (draft language, not official announcement):

"Apple recently announced that iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers will be free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated as of September 1, 2013.

Business and Education customers that purchase qualifying devices will have the option to request an equivalent number of licenses be placed into their Volume Purchase Program account. More details about how to make this request will be provided later this Fall."

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Update - I just signed into iTunes on one of my newly activated iPads (this month) and when prompted for free apps like iBooks etc. - the free iWork apps, iPhoto, and iMovie were offered as well!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Didn't work on my 5s.. Maybe as I'm uk? Or because I did a restore??

MZHelpDesk
New Contributor

I just activated a iPad 2 and loaded iOS7 onto it and now all the iWork programs are showing up as free. Has anyone figured out how to deploy these via Apple Configurator yet?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

When you are prompted to Download All on that newly activated device, sign in with the Apple ID that you will be pushing apps from. It will then own the free app and you should be able to upload its app bundle to Configurator.

MZHelpDesk
New Contributor

I did just that with iPhoto and iPhoto inside of Apple Configurtor still wanted licenses to install.

lhscasper
Contributor

I haven't seen any mention of the Apps being free anywhere on the Aus Apple site. I don't have a new iPad to activate to test but has anyone outside of the US received these Apps free with a new device?

Yunger
New Contributor

Dgreening in this post you mentioned that you have the ability to install apps OTA without a problem. Can you help me with that.

I have apps in self service, but if I click install it asks for authentication. I want to have the ability to install the apps OTA as well as have users install apps they need through self service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

talkingmoose

@Yunger

You may want to contact JAMF Support for your request since it's not necessarily straight-forward and depends on your environment.

To "push" an app to a device and have it appear on the home screen:

1. Your iOS device must be supervised. This requires supervising via Apple Configurator or Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP).
  2. You must also be using Apple's newer Volume Purchase Program v2. This is not the same as the older one that provides you redemption codes.
  3. You cannot assign apps to a device in the new VPP program. You can only assign apps to Apple IDs. Therefore, your iPads must be currently signed in to that Apple ID.
  4. Finally, the feature to automatically download apps must be enabled once a user has signed in with his Apple ID. I believe this gets automatically enabled.

We've found that apps sometimes need a "kickstart" to download because the Apple ID hasn't re-authenticated itself in a while. That means, a user may not see an app appear until he does something causing him to re-enter his Apple ID password, such as downloading another app manually.

As you can see, a lot has to be just right and it's not 100% perfect. At least, Apple hasn't implemented VPP v2 in such a way that it meets the expectations of most iOS administrators.