iPad Active Directory Authentication

bvondeylen
Contributor II

Attempting (unsuccessfully) to configure our iPads to authenticate against Active Directory based on the user assigned to the iPad.

We need this because we authenticate against AD for grouping in our Fortinet Web Filter. So students by grade have a level of web filtering and teachers have another.

BUT, we haven't gotten this figured out for our iPads yet, and wondering if it is possible.

4 REPLIES 4

alanmcseveney
New Contributor

You could use a W-fi captive portal or 802.1x authentication that prompts for AD credentials, either of which should be able to to put a device into a group. You cannot login to an iPad "console" as an AD user.

JS_WWU
New Contributor III

Do you have SSU setup for Jamf? We do, and assign the iPads to the user by checking the "Require Credentials for Enrollment" in the Prestage Enrollment area. Then in the message box below we instruct the user to login using AD credentials.

bvondeylen
Contributor II

All the iPads were enrolled 2-3 years ago. I am trying to use a Configuration Profile that will automatically sign them in based on the Full Name of the iPad owner. That part is working. What isn't working, is the authentication. It knows who 'owns' the iPad, but it doesn't pass that information onto Safari (or any app) accessing the network.

I am guessing it cannot be done (while it can on a Chromebook).

JS_WWU
New Contributor III

Ah, I got it to say who "owns" the iPad, but gave up on passing that info on to other apps like Safari or Mail. If that is possible it could be handy here too.