iPad Groups

erinofferdahl
New Contributor

I wiped all my devices so that they would be "new" for the next school year. I didn't realize that the static groups would also be wiped and now I get to reenter serial numbers for groups. Is there a better way to set up groups where I can select specific groups for specific app distribution without reentering the serial numbers every year? I would love if the static groups were saved. It doesn't seem like a very efficient way to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

Aguiness
New Contributor III

hi

I think its to late this year but in the future you may be able to export the serials and then reimport the serials into a group are you using dep ?

nigelg
Contributor

I am getting round this by creating prestage enrolments for each group of Macs or iOS devices (in our case they are grouped by room or sometimes department) then scoping a smart group to "prestage enrolment completed - <prestage name>" for each prestage, and using those smart groups for deployment of software and settings. We aren't using static groups at all.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Unfortunately you have learned the downfall of static groups.

An alternative would be to create an Extension Attribute with a drop-down list of options/labels. Set this to a specific value for all the iPads in a single group and create a Smart Group for each value.