iPad in infinite setup loop after update to iOS 13

fsjjeff
Contributor II

We have hundreds of student iPads enrolled and managed with our JSS. I've had a few situations this morning where after a student updates their iPad to iOS 13, it boots up to screen saying "Update completed" - when they click continue it very briefly says installing the config for our organization then quickly jumps to the the chaos dark or light mode screen. When they make their selection it jumps back to the "Update completed" screen and ends in an infinite loop that you can't get out of, even after a restart of the device.

Anyone seeing this? Found a solution? Suggestions?

16 REPLIES 16

grecopj
Contributor

I updated about 24 iPads and I have one that is doing the same exact thing as you described. No clue as to why. Going to try and wipe and reinstall.

kingcj
New Contributor

I spoke with Apple about this today as I had two iPads do exactly as you described after an IOS 13 update. They had me change some of the setup assistance settings in our Jamf-Cloud pre-stage to see if something in those settings was causing the loop. I performed a hard restart of the iPad but none of the changes to the pre-stage setup assistance settings made a difference.

I was forced to use Apple Configurator to perform a Erase/Reset all settings on the iPad which solved the issue.

I have an open case with Apple and the Apple tech I spoke with is going to communicate the information I gave him to engineering. Our organization has many iPads and we don't want to have to take these steps often. I hope Apple fixes this with a new IOS 13 update soon.

wabit
New Contributor

@kingcj We have the same issue here, looking forward to your answer from Apple engineering.Thanks

j_carroll
New Contributor III

Not a great solution, but I'm told this works...

Better than going through Apple Configurator 2 and wiping and resetting up.

wabit
New Contributor

@ j_carroll Thanks Carol, It works for me.

j_carroll
New Contributor III

@wabit Not a problem!

fsjjeff
Contributor II

That's wonderful - we paused iOS 13 on our student iPads because of this, but I may start letting it go again if this seems to be a solution.

j_carroll
New Contributor III

We enabled it on Friday, and we've had zero reports of this problem so far. We'll see if I stay lucky or not.

Matt_Roy93
Contributor

We have this update being deferred for 30 days, has anyone noticed anything else that does not function well since updating? Testing on my device everything mission critical seems to be running just fine.

Thanks!

mplisd
New Contributor II

Not sure if this is relevant but I've found that I'm unable to restore up to 13 without ensuring whatever device I'm using is iTunes 12.10+.

kingcj
New Contributor

Apple has responded to my open case with the following. I am not yet sure of Jamf's status with regard to this issue:

We do not have an ETA on this issue to be resolved. We have determined that the issue is based on the MDM and how its managing the setup screens. We can not reproduce the issue using Apple Profile Manager (Apple's MDM) so we hope that Jamf and other MDM service provider resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks

j_carroll
New Contributor III

We have 600 iPads on iPadOS now. We have not had this issue on any of them.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

I've seen this issue on two of our iPads in the last week that updated to ipadOS 13.

bishopz
New Contributor III

We updated over 600 and had 2 with this issue.

jonathan_massey
New Contributor III

We've seen this happen with a few after being enrolled using Apple Configurator's Automated Enrollment via DEP. The device gets to the Privacy screen and ends up in a loop going back and forth between the message that the device is being configured by our organization and then immediately goes back to the privacy setting. The only way I was able to get out of this was to change the PreStage Enrollment to skip the setup steps and go straight to the home screen after the device enrolls.

hector_cast
New Contributor II

We have the same issue appearing with AC2 when iOS 13.2 was released. Using Jamf 10.15.1, we are look into updating our PreStage setup screen options to remedy the looping.