iPad Incorrect Date and Time - Can't Receive Configuration Profiles From JSS

AHSitguy
New Contributor III

Hi,
I have restrictions in place for iPads such as the following:
- Prevent removing of the MDM profile
- Automatic Date and Time set to Enforced (makes so you can't turn off "automatic date and time" in iPad settings. Idea behind it was so that they'd always have the correct date and time so that they never get disconnected from the JSS.
- Hide the option to "erase and reset" in the iPad settings

However, I have iPads that somehow forgot their date and time and now they are incorrect, and because of the settings set above, I can't manually change the date and time to fix it because it won't get an future config profile updates and I can't wipe it and re-enroll it. Does anyone know why it forgets the date and time when the date and time is set to automatic? What settings do you recommend?

7 REPLIES 7

RLR
Valued Contributor

I find you have to have location services turned on to get the correct data and time. I had a student that didn't turn this on and set the time manually but still wouldn't work.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Flat battery perhaps? The date and time resets when the battery on a Mac goes below 0% I'd surmise the same may happen with iPads as well.

I assume you're using a certificate based wireless network if they can't connect? If you haven't already I'd invest in a couple Apple USB3 to lightning adapters and some usb to ethernet adapters as well. Once they drop off you can try ethernet to get them on a network again.

gracetyler
New Contributor III
If you haven't already I'd invest in a couple Apple USB3 to lightning adapters and some usb to ethernet adapters as well. Once they drop off you can try ethernet to get them on a network again.

Is this working consistently? I used a setup similar to this a few years ago that I would use to get internet connection to locked out iPads, but Apple patched it in a future iOS version. I'd love to know if this is a viable workaround again.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@jdavis0101 It's very consistent in most cases as long as you're using Apple branded accessories. The only issue I run into with this these days has to do with USB restricted mode being on.

AHSitguy
New Contributor III

@mainelysteve Yes, this issue was a result of the battery fully depleting. Once we charged the battery again, it wouldn't grab the correct date and time. Yes, our network is certificate based. As a workaround, I was able to connect the problem iPad to a home network where it went an corrected the date and time. It probably also would have worked if I connected it to my smartphone's hotspot. I wonder if our network's time servers are being blocked somehow.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@AHSitguy The time and date is pulled from time.apple.com on iPads. I often have issues with It, but I would check that you can reach that address on your network.

cbomberry
New Contributor

I was having the Exact same issue, and I performed the same steps to alleviate the same issues. In order to alleviate the issue/s, I had to access the Pre-Stage Enrollment Profile>General>[Setup Assistant] - Selected items are not displayed in the Setup Assistant during enrollment for IOS or tvOS - UNSELECT Location Services.