Ipad Kiosk Mode - WiFI Failure

cholder
New Contributor II

Hi
We are testing using intune to deploy an app in Kiosk mode with devices DEP enrolled. Everything is working great but we are trying to plan for different scenarios.

Anyone know what happens when there is a Wi-Fi failure, if you're in Kiosk mode you can't get out to reconfigure the Wi-Fi , if your Wi-Fi has failed the ipad can't pick up the new profile moving it out of Kiosk mode to configure it.

As well anyone push an enterprise cert for Wi-Fi for devices.

8 REPLIES 8

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@cholder I can't speak on how they work from personal experience, but if you search for "lightning to ethernet adapter for ipad" on Amazon you will get multiple hits for iPad Ethernet adapters that work with iOS 10 or later.

maurits
Contributor

Official Apple Supported solution:
https://jacobsalmela.com/2016/04/09/use-wired-ethernet-on-your-ipad-or-iphone/

gracetyler
New Contributor III

@maurits

This method has been patched and no longer works. I had a student device stuck in lost mode last fall and was excited to try "Frankensteining" this list of adaptors together to get it unlocked. Despite being able to ping the iPad, I was disappointed to discover the commands couldn't get through to the iPad. After some more digging, I found that a recent iOS update had invalidated this method. Hoping I'm wrong about this or that a new way has been discovered because having this ability would really come in handy.

thejenbot
Contributor III

I have heard that the old way of going through a USB hub - rather than with the camera adapter kit - was working again. This was our old method, which stopped working; we then switched to the above rig, which as @jdavis0101 mentions above, isn't working for us anymore (though I've heard it is for others). Haven't tested it out yet, but throwing it out there as another possible option to maybe go back to - couldn't hurt!

gracetyler
New Contributor III

@thejenbot The method I tried used a powered USB hub and the camera adapter. What's the USB hub way you're talking about? I'd like to try it.

thejenbot
Contributor III

We used to use Ethernet to USB dongle > powered hub > USB to lightning cord > iPad. That stopped working last year, so we switched to the camera adapter tool (the setup pictured in this discussion; that stopped working, so we applied the firmware update and it worked again for awhile, but then it stopped again. I spoke recently to someone who had luck using the method we used to employ, just haven't had a chance/need to try it. Apple seems to be patching holes that allow this to work...

gracetyler
New Contributor III

I've been using the sharing settings on my MacBook to share internet through a standard USB to lightening cable to get commands to locked iPads these days. Works well for now.

sburt
New Contributor III

If the app you are using for Kiosk Mode supports "Autonomous Single App Mode," I suggest looking into that feature as it removes the Single App Mode restriction if the device loses network connection.