iPad Not Supervised

HLH
New Contributor II

Hoping you can help but please keep it simple for me!!
I have a number of iPads bought from a reseller who adds them to our Apple Business Manager (ABM) account and all good - I work with these just fine.
Someone at work bought 2 iPads NOT through reseller so I have no option to have them added to ABM. You need to know I DO NOT Have a Mac so cannot use Apple Configurator software either.

So what I did:

1. On iPad I went to https://OURNAME/jamfcloud.com/enroll

2. Logged into Jamf and added MDM Profile and CA Certificate (including going into settings to accept them)

At this point the iPad should be fine. I can see it in JAMF Pro but the issue is it remains "Unsupervised" so I cannot push a Configuration Profile to it. It will however accept an App being pushed to it.

What am i doing wrong to not have it supervised and configuration profile failing?

With many thanks, Alan

HLH_0-1676830168856.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

Supervision for mobile devices is achieved via prestage/abm or Configurator. Your best option here is to use Configurator for iPhone to push the iPads into abm for management and then they will act like the rest. The 30day window is in reference to this, not user-initiated enrollment.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sayr01
Contributor

Hi,

it takes 30 days before it can be supervised by an institution since it was not purchased through apple or authorised reseller.   

HLH
New Contributor II

Hi sayr01 - does that mean it will automatically change to supervised after 30 days or do I need to do something? Thank you SO MUCH for your reply. Very much appreciated as I thought I was going daft! 

sayr01
Contributor

It should.  

RLR
Valued Contributor

The iPad will only be supervised if you set it up via a prestage enrolment. Enrolling by the URL method will manage the device but not Supevise the device so you will be missing some functionality. 

If you need them supervising then you will need to put them in to your ABM via Apple Configurator. Once enrolled via Apple Configurator you can assign it to your MDM and it can be enrolled via a prestage enrollment.

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

Supervision for mobile devices is achieved via prestage/abm or Configurator. Your best option here is to use Configurator for iPhone to push the iPads into abm for management and then they will act like the rest. The 30day window is in reference to this, not user-initiated enrollment.

HLH
New Contributor II

And it worked! I was not aware of iPhone App option for this...it is a total game changer for me.

Thank you so much!

jakeah18
New Contributor III

Apple Configurator for iPhone you mean? You can only use that to enroll Macs, not mobile devices like iPads or iPhones.

Things have changed a bit - it's possible now. I walked someone through it this morning, iPhone enrolling an iPad Pro into ABM.   https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-business-manager/add-devices-from-apple-configurator-axm200a54...

Oh really? That's great news! Thank you for letting me know

@jakeah18 you got it!  it's a game changer for sure, makes it extremely easy now to get those rogue devices into the workflow.