iPad Pro 12.9" Stuck in single app mode - NO wifi

Randydid
Contributor II

This might be a simple fix but I have searched and my Google-Fu is weak after Daylight Saving Time ;-).

I have a supervised 12.9" iPad that is in Single App mode. Somehow, it lost the Wifi and cannot be managed/reset/etc. by JAMF Pro. I have tried to reset it and put it in recovery mode but it will not go Plugging it into a MacBook Pro and iTunes yields the "This device is supervised by another device...."

It seems that I have an unmanageable device that I cannot get back. Seems there has to be a way to get control of it again. Ideas?

TIA,

/randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Randydid
Contributor II

The only way I was able to get control again was by exporting a Supervision Profile From Jamf Pro and then importing it into Apple Configurator and doing a full restore from there.

Passing TCP/IP through USB did not work. The Apple Store near me only had Belkin USB Dongles that failed to work for me either.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

danreedphoto
New Contributor III

Lightning to ethernet adapter. I think I paid $10 for 1 on Amazon.

Randydid
Contributor II

@danreedphoto We have some Belkin USB C dongles but I have not had any luck. I suppose they must be Apple branded?

/randy

Randydid
Contributor II

Never mind, I just did not hold the 'Top' Button long enough. With enough time, it did let me get into Recovery mode.

Off to get more coffee,

/randy

mcarasso
New Contributor III

you can also pass networking through the USB on your mac in Mojave.

Randydid
Contributor II

Spoke too soon. I tried an update and restore but it still reverts to the Device is supervised. Going to purchase an OEM Apple USB C to ethernet dongle.

Randydid
Contributor II

The only way I was able to get control again was by exporting a Supervision Profile From Jamf Pro and then importing it into Apple Configurator and doing a full restore from there.

Passing TCP/IP through USB did not work. The Apple Store near me only had Belkin USB Dongles that failed to work for me either.

View solution in original post