iPadOS 17 readiness

BestSamson
New Contributor II

My organization is new to Jamf. We are looking to see if Jamf has published documentation for when they will be ready to release updates for iOS 17/ iPadOS 17.

Most importantly, are there any changes we need to be aware of so it doesn't break anything in our organization.

Secondly, we need to know when Jamf will roll out the changes so we can be prepared. We are already asking our user base to postpone updating so we encounter as few issues as possible on day one.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Some thoughts:

• You have to control the wheel and discover what will and won't break in your organization. Now is the time to enter Beta season. Install the Public or Developer beta builds. Test. Insert a deployment ring and have other departments or personnel test as well. https://beta.apple.com/

• Jamf MDM will support iOS 17 whenever it releases next month. No concern here.

• The more important concern is if your organization is prepared, which can be addressed in the first bullet point.

• I would also prep a configuration profile to block the iOS update if you need more time for testing or need to go through a change control process. This way you aren't dependent on asking the user base for action; you're enforcing a deferral. And then you can shift your attention towards the communication of the update whenever you're ready.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Some thoughts:

• You have to control the wheel and discover what will and won't break in your organization. Now is the time to enter Beta season. Install the Public or Developer beta builds. Test. Insert a deployment ring and have other departments or personnel test as well. https://beta.apple.com/

• Jamf MDM will support iOS 17 whenever it releases next month. No concern here.

• The more important concern is if your organization is prepared, which can be addressed in the first bullet point.

• I would also prep a configuration profile to block the iOS update if you need more time for testing or need to go through a change control process. This way you aren't dependent on asking the user base for action; you're enforcing a deferral. And then you can shift your attention towards the communication of the update whenever you're ready.

BestSamson
New Contributor II

What setting in the config profile would block iPadOS updating?

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

The number you enter the field is how many days you are deferring the update. Test.

Screenshot_2023-08-22_at_12_41_48_PM.png

BestSamson
New Contributor II

Thanks! That's the setting I was thinking but sometimes it's not 100% obvious because of differing language.

We're very sensitive to changes in our management, so we make sure to test as much as we can.

Yebubbleman
New Contributor III

Everything @obi-k says here is spot on.  JAMF is usually stellar about supporting new major Apple OS releases on day 1.  So, as long as your JAMF Pro instance is current, you will be able to support iPadOS 17 on day one.  That said, to reiterate his point, you DEFINITELY should be testing with the current iPadOS 17 beta if you are not already doing so.  When the GM candidate releases, that'll be a pretty good metric as to how well you're doing in terms of being ready for it.  Certainly, you can defer your update until a .0.1 or a .1 release if that makes those in your organization feel better about it.  At most, you can defer up to 90 days following the launch.  Though, personally, I'd try to be ready before that point.