Posted on 11-11-2015 07:01 AM
Good morning everyone,
Running into a very rare problem with iPads. One out of 1500 or so run unto the error " profile installation failed the scep server returned an invalid response" Usually, DFU will fix these ipads, but I have one that has been DFU'd several times to no avail.
When going through the enrollment process and putting our configuration profile on the ipad connects to wifi, goes to install the profile, then spits out that error.
Anyone else seeing this? Thank you.
Posted on 11-13-2015 03:25 AM
I've had a few sticky ones like this. Restore it one more time and instead of activating over Wi-Fi, try activating through iTunes. It will eventually get to a point where it says "Configuration could not be downloaded". Press back, connect to Wi-Fi and it should re-activate fine.
I have also had a couple where I had to disable DEP through the Casper pre-stage enrollment setting. Restore, activate, re-enable DEP, restore, activate.
Posted on 11-13-2015 06:19 AM
We got a lot of iPads returning the error that the configuration could not be downloaded. Even up to 50% of iPads, if they are all activated at the similar time.
Posted on 11-13-2015 09:54 AM
We previously had one that was able to be fixed with a simple restore from iTunes plus possibly a small iOS upgrade (something like 9.0.1 to 9.1).
We have one now that is giving us fits like you described though. We've tried everything under the sun with no luck yet. I'll try the above notes after lunch and see if it plays nice.
Posted on 11-14-2015 03:05 AM
Are you skipping Location Services as part of your DEP enrollment?
@james_ridsdale mentioned in his DEP & VPP talk @ JNUC2015 that he's encountered issues when skipping that as the devices time is off.
I posted a link to that talk in a post I posted today.
Posted on 11-16-2015 09:13 AM
Wish it was that simple for us. Location Services is the ONLY option we do not skip upon DEP enrollment and we still run into this issue occasionally. The steps I mentioned above seem to work for us (and hopefully some others as well).
Posted on 11-25-2015 07:29 AM
Not skipping location services. Undid DEP and restored and it'll load fine. Wipe and re-enroll into DEP and it still errors. Happens a lot now it seems. Thanks for all the responses.
Posted on 11-25-2015 10:16 AM
We had a similar issue. In speaking with JAMF we created a new PreStage Enrollment Profile. Assigned the device to the new PreStage and this fixed our issue.
Once we enrolled the devices to the "NEW" PreStage Enrollment we moved the already assigned devices to this "NEW" PreStage and then deleted the old one.
Try this and see what happens.
I hope this helps!
Posted on 11-30-2015 07:10 AM
I was thinking the suggestion from @lee.smith was brilliant - we've had a couple occasions where it seemed like something corrupted in the JSS. This has generally been just a policy where if you create a new one it works just fine. So I was hopeful - but creating a new PreStage Enrollment Profile did not work for my one trouble iPad. Thanks for the idea though!
Posted on 06-03-2019 05:14 AM
I have 13 out of about 125 currently on my desk with the same message. We've tried to wipe through iTunes to no avail ... hesitant to wipe any more carts until we figure this out. So I seem to be stuck ... anybody have an easy resolution for this yet?
Posted on 03-08-2020 12:03 PM
Checking in if there was a positive outcome here? None of my devices are using itunes, so I can't try wiping through there. I am enrolling straight from ABM --> Pre-stage enrollment. . . . I was onboarding a stack of new iPads, got through 29 of them without issue, and then on the 30th. . . all of the sudden it gets to this step and now its failing with each subsequent iPad I try and turn on and enroll gives the same error. . . its like I hit a wall. Any suggestions?
Posted on 05-12-2020 12:03 AM
Also checking in--I have a bunch of iPads that are fine, and one is returning this error. Would love to know if anyone resolved this issue.
Posted on 06-15-2020 02:06 PM
Hooray! I was able to work through these issues! It turns out that one of my devices was hung up on the Pre-stage enrollment and was failing over and over and over. When I cleared out the "failed" enrollment step in history, it unclogged the log-jam and the rest of the devices enrolled without issue afterwards. However, these devices that failed did need to go through a full DFU restore in order to get them past this Server Error.
A helpful tip that I didn't understand when I went through this was that the iTunes is only used as a conduit for the DFU process to restore the latest iOS. . . even if your devices don't have any kind of itunes associated with it, you can still follow the same process.
Also note: the latest versions of MacOS don't include itunes. . . it can be done directly through the Finder or Apple configurator 2.