Issue with App Maintenance > Automatically update all App Store apps?

david_yenzer
Contributor II

Does anyone else experience an issue when checking the option for:

> Mobile Device Management > App Maintenance > Automatically update all App Store apps

It's been a few JSS updates since we've tried it, so I attempted it again the other day. And as in the past, our network took a serious dump. The next day all the iPad apps start updating to the latest version and the iPads are otherwise almost useless until things catch up. May take a few days.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do you simply not use this option...ever?

We typically just toggle single apps to update overnight when requested. A few at a time hasn't been an issue.

4 REPLIES 4

miregan
Contributor II

I generally stagger the updates in the individual app settings so that our network doesnt get bogged down

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Please vote up this FR if you have not yet.

bcourtade
New Contributor III

The majority of our iPads use our caching servers so it at least mitigates it, but with 1100 iPads and 574 apps in the catalog we still see a 600Mbps spike at auto update time. Fortunately we have a gigabit connection so it works, but a setting to spread the updates out or create update groups (maybe based on category?) would be nice.

Our JSS usually takes a dump processing it all though... We have a auto restart script to bring it back up when it stops responding.

edullum
Contributor

Maybe this is the same thing happening to you too....
We ran into serious performance issues (and still are with v10.0) when we update to JSS v9.09 on 9/27/17. Long story short, when the 3,000+ iPads would come into the building in the morning, the JSS would not respond. You couldn't even log into the portal. Tomcat process would be extremely high. We would end up restarting tomcat just to get into JSS. To troubleshoot, I disabled all automatic updates on 100+ apps and it completely solved that performance issue. About 2 weeks after upgrading to Jamf Pro v10.0 I turned on automatic updates on 5 google apps. That hosed the JSS once again. I let it sit in a non-useable state as long as I could, but eventually had to kill tomcat and restart it. I have to manually force apps to update if an update is needed. This is a known product issue in v9.09 and v10.0. Still waiting for a patch or fix.