Issues with binding in Lion

DanSam
New Contributor III

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this or not, but here goes. We changed our IP scheme at all of our schools this year including our servers. As a result, we are having to unbind and rebind all of our computers to the same servers (even though the dns names didn't change, just the IPs [frickin' weird]) in order for the users to be able to log in.

I found, in the resource kit, a script to unbind (which is outdated for Lion btw, the line that reads "/usr/bin/killall DirectoryService" should now be "/usr/bin/killall opendirectoryd"), and added it in as a policy with a bind attached for the proper server under accounts. I have set this for "once per computer", set it to run at startup and scoped it to the proper computer group. The script seems to run, the computers get unbound, but they never rebind. This was not the case on some Snow Leopard machines that I ran this on; all of those machines seem to run the script and rebound without any issues.

I have tried to split these 2 up into separate policies to see if it might have been trying to do both at the same time, but it seems to be a problem with the bind portion of any policy that I run.

So, 3 questions:

Does the bind under accounts in a policy still work under Lion 10.7.4 or is it broken?

Does the bind (set under accounts in the policy) try to run before any scripts, even if the script is set to "run before" or at the same time?

Is there a different/better way that you can think of to do an unbind and rebind at startup?

Some relevant information:

All clients that are having issues are running Lion 10.7.4
MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011)
JSS v8.6 running on an Xserve

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. We are about to start classes again and will have around 1500 laptops that need to be unbound and rebound before they can log in, and I need to know ASAP if we are going to need to do all of these by hand.

Thanks,
Dan

4 REPLIES 4

coreythefore
New Contributor

We're using bind scripts for our Snow Leopard clients and using configuration profile to bind our Lion clients. Seems to be working so far. We bind to both Windows AD Domain Controller and to Open Directory for Apple services (iChat, Wiki, Etc...)

DanSam
New Contributor III

I should have mentioned that we are binding to OD... and that is odd. Everything worked fine on Snow Leopard but will not work on Lion.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

you may be the bravest person i have heard of i have OD running in my home lab, and my machines cannot stay connected to the OD here, one subnet, i would probably be better off with a virtual AD server to connect to. have to rebind my workstation every week. its stupid. heck the server looses groups and ids too and have to reboot it periodically just so it can get that information from itself.

DanSam
New Contributor III

We haven't really had any troubles with it keeping the bind to the server, it's just getting it to bind in the first place. I would like to provide an error log from the policy, but it's not giving me any. The computer unbinds like it should, but then will not bind and will not supply a log in JSS, no failure or anything. So I am stuck.

Any other ideas would be great. We are trying to work directly with JAMF as well, but aren't getting anywhere.