Issues with Patch Management

llandes
New Contributor II

Greetings Jamf Nation denizens,

I've recently tried to begin utilizing Patch Management features within JAMF Pro but have met some issues.

I'm attempting to use the automatic distribution method instead of administering it through Self Service. I have confirmed that the Patch Policy has a defined scope with an eligible machine, but it remains stuck on "Pending".

In this particular example I'm trying to update Google Chrome. Upon reviewing the logs, it appears a patch policy called just called "macOS" is being distributed to the device. This particular patch policy is titled "Google Chrome Patch Policy" so I would expect to see that being pushed in the logs.

llandes_0-1672765474224.png

There are no Patch Policies set up called macOS in our JAMF Pro server. Other Patch Policy logs show this same policy. When running a sudo jamf policy command on the machine, it returns the "No patch policies were found" message, and remains "pending" in JAMF Pro.

Is there a way to fully reset or flush the Patch Management policies? I have created new policies from scratch but every time it is for some reason attempting to push this "macOS" policy that does not exist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Delete your patch policy and start over. JAMF is seeing something you are not expecting. I would also go check your packages and delete that MacOS 10.13.6 as I very highly doubt its needed anymore. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Delete your patch policy and start over. JAMF is seeing something you are not expecting. I would also go check your packages and delete that MacOS 10.13.6 as I very highly doubt its needed anymore. 

llandes
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and deleted all of the patch policies as they weren't being utilized anyway. I'm not sure how this happened as there were no MacOS 10.13.16 installers in our Package list. Either way, starting from scratch seems to have fixed it.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@llandes I'd suggest you open every one of your Patch Management policies and check the Definition tab to see what definition they're actually and see if you've got one for macOS High Sierra because that's what your log is showing.

llandes
New Contributor II

The definition was set correctly if I recall correctly, but blowing them all away and starting over seemed to be the fix. Thanks!

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

I ran into something very similar a while back.  We're using Jamf Cloud, so Jamf was able to get it fixed pretty quickly on the back end.  It should be something that can be done on non-Cloud instances as well. 

Have you reached out to Jamf Support about this?

llandes
New Contributor II

I appreciate your response. I wanted to start here and see where the issue lied and it seems to have been on our end. I deleted everything from our Patch Management tab and started over and seems to be okay now. 

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

I would still reach out to Jamf Support for that database fix.  In my case, it kept happening until they made that change.  It never mattered how often I cleared out everything from our Patch Management setup.  It always came back.

llandes
New Contributor II

Good to know. I'll be on the lookout for its return as I flesh out our policies.