Jamf App Catalog Mac Apps not installing

jamfleet
New Contributor

We are installing some basic list of apps some from the App Store and some from Jamf App Catalog

In some cases Jamf App Catalog apps (Chrome and Google Drive) do not install.

Context

These are brand new M1 Macbooks

Some apps will install (like Zoom) pretty consistently

Happens 10-20% of laptops

Persists over days

I tried  

- restarting the machine

- running a manual inventory update 

- running client reset (jamf recon || true; jamf manage || true; jamf policy || true)

- checking if installation is pending (not)

- reassigning the computer to the group for which the apps are installed

- creating a different deployment of the app for that specific computer

Any ideas?

N00b to Jamf, what logs can I pull to see what happened with app installations

51 REPLIES 51

Jochen
New Contributor

Same issue here, any input would be helpful! 

srochford
New Contributor II

I've been trying to understand how Mac apps get installed and why they sometimes don't get installed. I'm making some progress with the first bit; not so much with the second.

As far as I can tell, the apps don't get installed using the Jamf process; they're installed by the appstored process as if they were App Store apps so looking at /var/log/jamf.log gets you nowhere. Looking at /var/log/install.log will show you the full process of installation but tells you nothing if the install doesn't work.

Using log show seems to give more useful info - eg

log show --last 2d --predicate '(process="appstored") && (eventMessage contains "Allowing start")'

scans the log for the last 2 days, looking for events created by the appstored process and with "Allowing start" in the message - you'll see one of these at the start of every installation.

What I haven't yet got is any indication of why the install isn't starting; Microsoft Defender is failing to install on quite a few machines so I've tried putting eventMessage contains "Defender" as part of the predicate statement but it finds nothing which I think tells me that Defender just isn't available to the machine (even though it's in the right Smart Group).

If you look at more of the log for a particular install (change the eventMessage part to include the app name - I looked at Outlook) then you can see all the steps. It downloads the installer from https://appinstallers-packages.services.jamfcloud.com

If you search for a particular computer in your jamfcloud instance and then look at Management History section of the History tab then you'll see "InstallEnterpriseApplication" commands for each application (but no info about what app is being installed). 

I'm going to keep digging - I know that Mac apps is still in preview so I'm hoping that eventually Jamf will publish some more info on how it works and, more important, how you debug it when it doesn't work.

Good luck :-)

Steve

KenHickey
New Contributor

Hi, I am also new to Jamf Pro.  I did come across, "In the weeds with the App Installers preview" by Emily who has a great writeup https://www.modtitan.com/2022/03/in-weeds-with-app-installers-preview.html 

After some apps didn't install automatically over the weekend, I toggled Deploy off then on.  It did eventually install the rest.

taugust_ric
Contributor

Seeing similar behavior.  Only using Jamf App Catalog one on specific system, with no apps installed.  It looks like the installd process stalls on some installers coming in from the Jamf App Catalog.  So far I've had this occur with Microsoft Word and Microsoft OneNote.  If you have multiple packages installing, in queue, killing the installd process can sometimes get you to the next package in line waiting to install from the catalog.

kiltedtenor
New Contributor II

I know we're on a two week old thread, but I'm also running into this issue. Install doesn't seem to be running, so it's not a stuck installer. It's just not notably trying to install any of my Microsoft apps.

AaronLMGoodwin
New Contributor II

We're having the same issue with Chrome and Microsoft office apps, though zoom succeeds every time. Not sure what's going on here but it's a pretty terrible experience.

jamfleet
New Contributor

I could not find solution and it became more common. Stepped away from using jamf catalog

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I'm running into a similar problem with Chrome, with the updates.  Devices that had chrome apparently are getting their chrome deleted, but not getting the new version.

taugust_ric
Contributor

I continue to see inconsistencies as well.  I really want to use this new feature but it doesn't seem fully baked yet, for whatever reason.  What is the support policy for features in "Preview"?

I'm short staffed at both organizations I work for and this would definitely reduce the load for some tasks.  The Adobe apps included are actually working quite well at the moment (knock on wood) and that's a major time sink removed if we can use the App Catalog packages instead.

taugust_ric
Contributor

Heads up, looks like the most recent Adobe Illustrator 2022 package released to the Jamf App Catalog on 7/28/22 has problems.  Noticed that Adobe Illustrator has disappeared from the entire scope of systems that it was installed on via App Catalog.

I like the idea of continuing to use this thread to log problems, since this feature is in Preview, but also available in production environments.  Seems like the Bermuda Triangle of support options...|

UPDATE: It looks like the Illustrator package being published by Jamf fails on Apple Silicon, but installs on Intel.  Same Jamf App Catalog policy...

taugust_ric
Contributor

Ugh... so does anyone at Jamf technical support know about the Jamf App Catalog feature?  I opened a service request, and I was quite clear that I was having difficulty with a specific update in the Jamf App Catalog, and I got back a request from support to review the documentation for installing packages via policy (not applicable at all) and to provide error messages in jamf on what's failing (they don't exist in the current App Catalog UI but I already provided the adobe log from the system) and to review the Adobe error message documentation (I already did and said that in the ticket).

Is there a way to get stuff escalated to the next tier without sounding inconsiderate or rude?  I don't want be one of those people who are like "I've been doing this for over 20 years", but, I've been doing this for over 20 years.  I spent about 20 minutes providing what I expected were the details required to get support and I feel unacceptable initial response (given the details already provided) from the Technical Support person.  I don't often open Jamf tickets as I've been using it since version 6.x so I'm usually able to resolve most of my own issues but this is the first time I've gotten one of those "I read one word in the request so here's a bunch of KB articles that actually have nothing to do with your request" responses... and this is a cloud only/cloud hosted feature so my fix-myself options are limited now.

kotoolers
New Contributor

I can also verify that from my testing, the jamf app catalog apps (zoom, chrome, adobe acrobat, etc) install without issue on Intel chip macbooks but are failing on all of the silicon macbooks I am testing with.

calfriday
New Contributor

@jwojda I've been having identical issues.

Users who have had chrome on their machine are having their chrome app deleted/unavailable on their machine. We typically have to manually reinstall these applications, despite Jamf pro reporting that their machines still have the applications and have have received the packages. 
Users with Apple silicon have been most affected by using the Jamf App catalog to keep their software up to date. However, users on intel processors are being affected as well. This is occurring despite Chrome being a universal processor application

Robert_MSD25
New Contributor II

Anyone have any updates on this thread? As others have mentioned, Chrome and MS Office apps seem to stick nearly every time....

taugust_ric
Contributor

Jamf App Catalog continues to be unreliable in my opinion.  It's most likely the MDM commands and Apple's limitations on them that are causing the problem, so I'm unsure how much logic Jamf can build into the package install scripts that can accommodate the limitations to Apple's toolset.  I don't believe the original service/company that Jamf purchased that provided the basis for the Jamf App Catalog services used the MDM install enterprise application commands for installing the applications (but I could be wrong on that).

rorlando
New Contributor

Jamf App Catalog apps are also not installing for me.
@jamf please help!

ItJustWorks
New Contributor II

Unreliable here too. 

Existing device, and Jamf can see in App Inventory that appNameHere is not installed. However, the Jamf App Deployment says that the machine does have it installed.

😤

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

The mac inventory won’t show the apps installed until a recon is done. The mdm install does not invoke recon. Have a daily policy for this or self service for the user. Then check installed apps. 

ItJustWorks
New Contributor II

Manual recon done many times, no change :( 

dbrady
New Contributor

Any help on this?  I too am experiencing the same issues.

Robert_MSD25
New Contributor II
Honestly, it has never worked well.
Disabling the application, saving changes, then re-enabling the application seems to help… but still not great.

I have a current Jamf support ticket open for this. Mostly seems to affect previously-enrolled devices, for me.

Apparently PI110818 is assigned to this problem

Nate1
New Contributor III

Hey where do we find current or previous bug fixes? I can see them in the release notes but hopefully if you have a PI#, there's a better way than opening the release notes of each version and searching in there

ItJustWorks
New Contributor II

Not sure :( 

Also PI110818 isn't showing up in Known Issues section. I'l pinging support to ask where it is.

frootion
New Contributor III

PI110818 is a total mystery.

Jamf has referenced this number a few times, but if you search for it there's no chance to get any informations.

• Jamf ID Login > Known Issues > no reference for PI110818
  • Jamf release notes > Search through the last 25 versions > no reference for PI110818

Found a slack message (from December 2022!) where one user opened a support case with the following answer:

"Please be informed that our sustaining team has opened a product issue for the bug and indeed it's gonna bw looked with future upgrades of Jamf.
PI110818: Handle the un-enrollment/re-enrollment scenario for installers
As a result Re-enrolled computer is still marked with installed status for application that was removed from the computer when it was unenrolled"

.. very strange.

frootion
New Contributor III

There is a way..

Use the following link which will get you to the release notes of the current Jamf Pro version:

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-release-notes-current/page/New_Features_and_Enhancements.html

From there use the search function in the top right corner.

• All content > check the boxes for Jamf Pro and Release notes
  • Delete the search filter "This Publication"
  • Search for your PI#

Please make sure to search for the whole PI number, otherwise there will be no results.

This will give you the option to search for PI's through different Jamf versions in one place.

Same problem for me, new machines are fine but machines that have been in JAMF and erased won't install any App store apps. 

People have been complaining about this for years yet there is no resolution. Disabling and enabling hasn't been a reliable fix for me.

I am beginning to wonder if Jamf is even present in these forums. They seem to be to busy posting on Linkedin about staff stories and JNUC. Just give us a button to manually force an app install and proper logs like everyone is asking for. 

frootion
New Contributor III

Last reply from Jamf Support:

"If your instance is actually hitting the issue documented under PI110818, as I can see in the notes of our Product Team, it should be resolved in Jamf Pro 10.48. Until the version is released, you can try the following workaround identified by our team:

Disable deployment of apps, wait 15 min and enable it again. Re-enrolled computer is checked once again and it should get the missing app.

Please let us know if the workaround works in your case. Thanks in advance for testing."

.. so hopefully it will be fixed with Jamf Pro 10.48 - fingers crossed.

MrBombadil
New Contributor III

I am on 10.48.1 and the issue is STILL happening.  All MS Office apps we deploy via Mac Apps in Jamf are not allowing users to install on Macs that have been previously deployed/erase and install/repurposed in our environment. 

Same…
Still an issue for us too.

Although, we have noticed that on our M1 iMacs, items install quite fast and almost without fail..
On our intel Macs, this is not the case.

This is happening on M1/M2 macs in our environment that are repurposed..

I noticed this AFTER we started repurposing ours.. you are right. First deployment, no problem. Second deployment = problem.

ignore

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

just a thought.. how's your re-enrollment settings? I've not seen this and we have this setting:

Capture 2023-08-15 at 16.28.59.png

Ours matches yours.

MrBombadil
New Contributor III

Ours is the same too

Keith__Myers
New Contributor III

I'm running Jamf Pro 10.49 on-prem and am seeing the same thing.  I have cancelled them in History > Mac App Store Apps > Pending Apps, ran recon, and they all come back on the pending tab with the status of "Installing" but they never install.  I can't get them to install at all.  They are all M1 iMacs and half of them installed the two apps I'm trying to push without issue and the other half are stuck like this.  Anyone know what else I can try?

--- Keith Myers

dfracassa
New Contributor III

Facing the same exact issues after we got upgraded to 10.49. It used to be working half-wonky but it was working. It seems after the upgrade to 10.49 is Zero deployments oveerall.

Apps would show as Pending/Installing but they sit there for days and the apps are not installing. It is super frustrating. I have the issue for both Apple AppStore and Jamf Catalog deployments.

If anyone finds a solution please drop a note.