Jamf App catalogue chrome error Version 126.0.6478.183

tdenton
Contributor II

Afternoon All 

Hoping someone can help who being using Jamf app catalogue longer than we have.
We recently started using Jamf app catalogue to manage some of core apps for patching etc.

I noticed yesterday that there was a new update from chrome it appeared to install fine and chrome seems to be working on the latest version 126.0.6478.183.

However we get below error message when going to About chrome, I have noticed it on a handfull of machines but I expect its probably on all of them.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 15.30.22.png

 Reinstalling chrome doesnt seem to help either have raised a ticket with Jamf support but that hasnt turn up much so far. The logs show chrome updating without error so I'm somewhat puzzled.

As anyone else come across this issue with managing chrome via jamf App catalogue?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

@tdenton it is my understanding that the error message is seen in the 'About Chrome' dialog when auto updates have been disabled by the updatePolicies tag in Google Keystone file. App Installers disables the auto updates functionality for Chrome when the 'Install supporting configuration profiles' option is checked within the App Installers deployment. This is done as Chrome is one of a few apps that we have seen that can become corrupted on the end user machine if the auto update function tries to install an update at the same time as App Installers has a pending update queued. It would be great if the message in Chrome was more descriptive such as 'auto updates have been disabled by your admin' rather than a generic error message, given that it isn't actually an error. You will see the same error in Microsoft Edge if the supporting profiles are enabled for the same reason.

The Google documentation for disabling auto updates in Chrome is available here https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7591084?hl=en#zippy=%2Cturn-off-updates

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Have you installed chrome from google package to see if the issue persists.

It's not likely Jamf is doing anything, but it is possible. The Configuration Profiles that install do break auto updates for some applications, which is kinda obvious as Jamf is controlling the updates. 

I would suggest removing a device from the Jamf App Catalog target for Chrome, making sure the Configuration Profiles are removed, then manually installing Chrome. If the issue persists, odds are you guys are performing some TLS filtering that Google does not like. Though, with Jamf managing the patching, this is not really a problem unless the error bothers you.

tdenton
Contributor II

@AJPinto 

Did wonder if was beacuse Jamf are now managing the updates.

Removing the profiles does appear to get rid of the error, error returns when the machine falls back in scope. So it would appear to be issue off Jamf manging the updates for chrome breaks this in somway.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Honestly it makes sense. Jamf is managing the updates, so you would not want the application updating itself as they are not testing the updates against that kind of workflow. However, this entire process uses Apples MDM Framework, and we all know how much of a mess that can be.

Jason33
Contributor III

I havent seen this in Chrome yet, but have in Brave for quite a while. It does update properly, so I dont really mind it.

mfletch
New Contributor III

I've seen this as well, but I think it's more of a fluke with Chrome and nothing to do with Mac app management. I've only noticed it on recently enrolled devices and once they are enrolled, Jamf Mac apps are able to keep them up to date without issue. 

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

@tdenton it is my understanding that the error message is seen in the 'About Chrome' dialog when auto updates have been disabled by the updatePolicies tag in Google Keystone file. App Installers disables the auto updates functionality for Chrome when the 'Install supporting configuration profiles' option is checked within the App Installers deployment. This is done as Chrome is one of a few apps that we have seen that can become corrupted on the end user machine if the auto update function tries to install an update at the same time as App Installers has a pending update queued. It would be great if the message in Chrome was more descriptive such as 'auto updates have been disabled by your admin' rather than a generic error message, given that it isn't actually an error. You will see the same error in Microsoft Edge if the supporting profiles are enabled for the same reason.

The Google documentation for disabling auto updates in Chrome is available here https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7591084?hl=en#zippy=%2Cturn-off-updates

tdenton
Contributor II

thanks @JustinC  thats really helpfull