JAMF Binary Missing - DEP Enrollment

xEpicFail_O_o
New Contributor III

Not sure what's going on but I've setup the JAMF DEP automated enrollment.

I've been able to successfully enroll 20+ macs in the last week, but all of the sudden today, my device is not enrolling correctly. 

All devices that are being enrolled are showing "Unmanaged" and the JAMF binary is missing from the /usr/local/JAMF folder is missing.

Oddly enough though, the base MDM profiles are coming down as well as JAMF Connect package.

xEpicFail_O_o_0-1682623734668.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xEpicFail_O_o
New Contributor III

Just wanted to let you all know that binary is now coming down for me and working as expected.

JAMF released a partial outage in relation to the binary missing. I also followed up on the slack page and it seems like this is now all good.

https://status.jamf.com/

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

On a clinet what happens if you type the following:

sudo jamf update

@atomczynski - tried sudo jamf update // manage // policy.

unfortunately all three return sudo: jamf: command not found. 

The entire binary never came down, so none of the jamf commands will work.

/usr/local/jamf is a missing directory.

SA399
New Contributor III

Same issue with DEP Enrollment here too - tried all of the "fixes" i'd seen, but there is NO jamf binary being installed: **this has been since I updated to 10.46**

Location Services and Migrate Data panes not skipped in Setup Assistant 

Manually selecting the manage option - saving - then wiping and re enrolling

Instead of using the built in macOS "Erase and Restore" - Using Recovery for a total wipe and restore

Toggling Hide Administrator account on and off

currently waiting to hear back from support 

xEpicFail_O_o
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update @SA399.

Mine was failing on 10.45, i just updated to 10.46 in hopes that it would remediate the issue but same problem. Please keep me updated on how your ticket comes along!

On the physical device itself, all the base config profiles do come down, i clearly see it being managed with the MDM profile. It even goes as far as restricting the limitations on my system preferences too.

It's just that it shows as "Unmanaged". I've done multiple wipes, full macOS internet recovery. Redid my APNs thinking that it was a point of failure, VPP token, even re-created a new prestage-enrollment profile. no luck. It's driving me up the wall because I'm in the middle of deprecating my old MDM and moving all systems to JAMF, but this is preventing me from moving forward.

xEpicFail_O_o_0-1682638034062.png

SA399
New Contributor III

Did a total reset of almost everything myself too - it's why I finally resorted to creating a ticket.  for extra notes - M2 Macbook Air - macOS 13 13.3.1

SA399
New Contributor III

JAMF shows 0 Accounts and no logs for the computer as well. 

xEpicFail_O_o
New Contributor III

I've tried on the following.

Intel MBA - 2018 (Monterey)

M1 MBP - 2020 (Ventura)

M2 Max MBP - 2023 (Ventura)

All sorts of issues at the moment, zero luck on any of the devices.

JAMF Connect, Config Profiles and even localadmin + account creation from JAMF Connect works. 

Just seems like after the fact, binary either gets ripped out of just never gets pulled to begin with. No self-service, no logs.

Additionally i've attempted to run the API call for redeploying the framework, still failed.

xEpicFail_O_o_0-1682643181008.png

mkunesh
New Contributor III

I was having a similar issue with the missing binary after a recent Jamf Pro cloud upgrade (though I am not sure if it was related or a coincidence). For some reason I had to enable

User-initiated enrollment in Settings - Global Settings - macOS - User-initiated enrollment. I am not using user-initiated enrollment at all, for what it's worth. Once I did that, automated enrollment via DEP was working again. A Mac would step through the setup assistant windows including Remote Management. Once I was able to login to the machine, I confirmed that the Jamf binary was there and I was able to run recons etc...

SA399
New Contributor III

I did that as well - even making sure the management account created did not have the same information to prevent a conflict. (known issue) 

SA399
New Contributor III

Also - this was a cloud environment as well.  Everything was working that morning prior to the update. I'm just lucky it was my dev environment. I just had to request them to reset it to base level and downgrade to 10.45 if possible..  

xEpicFail_O_o
New Contributor III

Just wanted to let you all know that binary is now coming down for me and working as expected.

JAMF released a partial outage in relation to the binary missing. I also followed up on the slack page and it seems like this is now all good.

https://status.jamf.com/

SA399
New Contributor III

I started seeing the issue again - when i was connected by a USB C ethernet adapter. I created a mini DMZ with a switch at my home office just to see if it was something at work. It looks like the macOS 13's security utility of establishing "trust" with a device at first physical connection blocks the rest of the install somewhere. (You never get the prompt to "allow this device" etc. etc) JAMF support said they do not recommend using hardwired connections for enrollment - to use wifi. I'm not sure how this flies with security for most corp wifi networks. Ours requires a cert and user credentials to connect to the corp side and to click accept on a loading page for the guest side. JAMF Support said the recommendation was to create an open wifi network just for enrollment.  .....  I don't even know where to begin with that one.  

kevin_v
Contributor

I just came across my first system where the Jamf Binary could not be found, but the system is able to do inventory updates and MDM commands. I tried the self-heal API - but the binary is still not installed.

I tried renewing the MDM profile - success but still no binary.

This was web enrolled a couple of years ago. We're Jamf Cloud 10.45.0

Seems like I may be forced to re-enroll it here unless there's other suggestions

SA399
New Contributor III
  • Have you made any changes recently to the PreStage used for it? - do you know for a fact that it's synced? (you can trick a sync by adjusting something from the "General" category)
  • Were the configs made PRIOR to creating the PreStage (something that seems new but was told by JAMF Support)
  • Was this on a hardwired connection by a USB-C adapter? 

There was no prestage involved in this particular host - it was web enrolled, so no configs to speak of really.

The device was on wifi

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I am seeing this EXACT issue today. I have a project to remove my legacy User-Inititated (AKA 'Jamf Management') admin account and only use a PreStage admin acount. This was approved by Jamf support in a support case that I opened for this sole purpose. Once I was 'blessed', Here's what I did:

1 Disabled the User-Inititated admin in my JSS admin console (10.46.1 on-prem).
2 Updated my PreStage admin account creds - saved & synced to Apple.

Booted several freshly-wiped DEP/AMB enrolled Macs. Saw the familiar "Remote management" screen (gear icon) and continued...

Once logged in with my PreStage account creds, I realized the Jamf binary wasn't installed (and my subsequent DEPNotify workflow and associated polciies couldnt run). A computer record was never created in Jamf. The Mac was in "Limbo".

Tested this on both Mac laptops and desktops and on both Monetery and Ventura, including ARM and Intel Macs. I used both native Ethernet (iMac) as well as USB-A and USB-C Ethernet dongles. All of them had the same results. Fail.

Once I re-created a dummy User-Inititated admin account, everything was back to 'normal' and I was able to enroll/deploy all my test Macs as expected.

andridm
New Contributor II

Hi! can you please clarify the steps of what you did:

"Once I re-created a dummy User-Inititated admin account, everything was back to 'normal' and I was able to enroll/deploy all my test Macs as expected."

we are plagued by this now!!

I was able to fix this by changing the management account name/password within user initiated enrolment for macOS. 

Discher
New Contributor III

I also had this problem with DEP enrollment.  The device would step through Prestage and finish, the configuration profiles would all install, and I could manage the computer from the JSS...   however the Jamf binary didn't install on the iMac, and neither did Self Serivce.

For me the solution was to simply remove the computer record from the JSS.