JAMF Cloud 502 Errors while syncing large files

spatte30
New Contributor II

Hi Folks,

I've done some searching and noticed that there's been other folks who get 502 errors in the Casper Sync Log when transferring larger files from Jamf Admin to a Cloud Point. Unfortunately, we're stuck in a bad situation where we just bought cloud and we need to sync our 500+GB on prem point up to the cloud before we can make it the main point. We've tried everything on our side we can think of, switching DPs, making sure it's not some bizarre network issue or firewall thing. Small packages (usually under a GB) upload fine. 

Normally this is where I'd bring in JAMF support, and I did, but they've been basically sitting on it now for 2 months and all I've gotten from repeated escalations is "We're looking at it". Has anyone else ever gotten this happen recently? I noticed there were a lot of folks in 2020 (probably covid related when everyone was setting up cloud) but it doesn't seem to happen any more. I can't make it the primary point and try the web upload until I get the data there, but I can't get it there without the first sync. We've had issues with our on prem points sometimes not connecting (we assume it's DNS because it's always DNS) and our view was to get everything out of a datacenter and let Jamf Cloud take care if it all. Well....

8 REPLIES 8

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@spatte30 have you tried using https://github.com/BIG-RAT/jamfcpr to sync your on-prem DP to your JCDS?

spatte30
New Contributor II

This could be a useful tool! Unfortunately it does require the cloud to be the primary first, which we can’t do until we populate it so we can switch everything over. If we end up having to move stuff manually though, this could really help with that! 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@spatte30 It shouldn't require the JCDS be the primary (I used it to move my on-prem DP when we migrated to Jamf Cloud a while back)

spatte30
New Contributor II

I'll give it a shot. the second line in is:

"Copy packages from a directory (local/mounted share/drive) or from one JCDS to another JCDS with jamfcpr.app. It is required the the destination JCDS be marked as the principal distribution server."

But I'll check it out anyway. Maybe they only mean that if it's two JDCSs talking to each other.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Hmm, wonder why/when that changed? Since you can't switch the JCDS to Primary until it's been sync'd (well you _can_, but you'd really regret it) that would definitely limit jamfcpr's usefulness. The Jamf Migrator (https://github.com/jamf/JamfMigrator) docs also refer to using jamfcpr to replicate packages when migrating packages, so it definitely used to work.

spatte30
New Contributor II

Yeah, just checked. Unfortunately it won't work unless JCDS is set as primary, which for me, would be...uh...bad.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

When you say large files, is there a size it repeatedly fails?

if you have a script for downloading a large file from e.g. Microsoft or Apple you could see if it fails too.  If it does and is repeatable I’d suggest firewall(s) for your location.

I didn’t have a good experience with the cloud as the secondary as I kept getting sync failures. With it as the primary, no problems

spatte30
New Contributor II

I can't find an exact size but we've been using a 11gb macos installer as a tester and it fails every time. downloads are fine, and smaller uploads work too. I'm not a networking expert by any stretch so i'd need to figure out how to detect if the firewalls are killing an upload; though our network guys say everything should be fine and there's no blocking or throttling.

Yeah I feel like we'd be in a great place if I could just get everything uploaded once, then once it's the primary, we'd be okay.