Jamf Cloud - Clone the "live" instance to create a sandboxed version

joethedsa
Contributor II

Greetings,
I'm looking for recommendations on cloning our current "live" Jamf Cloud instance to create a testing (sandbox) environment. The server has been already created but it's in a "vanilla" state. Maybe there is a way to export/import settings...? In the immediate future, we are hoping to test API communication and then do more things down the road.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KatieE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @joethedsa - you might want to try Jamf Migrator.

Cheers,
katie

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

KatieE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @joethedsa - you might want to try Jamf Migrator.

Cheers,
katie

mcgace
New Contributor III

@joethedsa did this work for you?

mcgace
New Contributor III

@jothedsa how did you get on with this? I need to setup our Sandbox environment but can't find any 'best practice'. You have any advice?

Jamf Support advised me against cloning the live environment but that is the only advice they could really offer.

joethedsa
Contributor II

Hi @mcgace , sorry for the delayed response. I ended up using Jamf migrator. The process is easy although there were some things (I don't recall what) that it didn't migrate over. If you visit https://github.com/jamf/JamfMigrator, you can find more information. Having a GUI is a plus as well! It's interesting Jamf support was against it. I talked to someone at JNUC2019 and they suggested it. The reason we needed it was to test some API integrations with our ticket system. We didn't want to do that in our live instance.

leslie
Contributor II
Contributor II

@joethedsa - the concern about cloning an (entire) environment, and keeping both active, is having things like the same VPP or DEP tokens on both servers which is a definite no no.

joethedsa
Contributor II

@leslie, You are correct- duplicating VPP, DEP, etc will cause issues so I don't recommend it either. I probably should have added that disclaimer. Our current sandbox has not been configured with VPP, DEP, etc - thats for another day! My response was from the standpoint that jamfmigrator is a great tool which will can do a great bulk of the cloning but some additional setup needs to be done.