Jamf cost money, Intunes is 'free'

cpominville
Contributor

I would like to know what Jamf will do to fight their "friend" microsoft, which is going around school boards advertising a free mdm. I know of 2 major school boards in my city that have either dropped Jamf, or refused to use Jamf, because InTune is "free"

In fact, most school boards in Ontario Canada, are steering away from Jamf as well, so its not just my town.

How long will it take to wake up?

I personally pushed very hard to have Jamf on site where I am, the smallest school board in Ontario, and I can tell you I LOVE JAMF!! EXCELLENT stuff, but if others won't give you a chance....

46 REPLIES 46

Dials_Mavis
New Contributor II

lol, this thread

Neil_Kitt
New Contributor III

If anyone has been to Microsoft's Ignite, you'd notice that Jamf has a presence there. My boss asked Microsoft techs/reps about a Mac solution and they pointed him to the Jamf booth. Intune is not designed to manage Macs as well as Jamf is and Microsoft knows this.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I mean y'all now there ain't no such thing as a free lunch right?

While MSFT AAD Intune do some things out of the box better than jamf, managing macOS and iOS devices are not among those things. We use AAD Intune to manage our Windows 10 clients so I am familiar with it. Also, Intune is a pure MDM where jamf is a MDM an agent. This makes a huge difference

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I might get flamed for saying this, but I think Intune is horrible. It's also incomplete. I just went through several weeks of weekly training sessions on Intune and I left thoroughly unimpressed. When Jamf announced at JNUC 2017 that Intune would work with Jamf Pro, I sat through the keynote presentation wondering why I would want to connect my Jamf Pro servers to Intune? What real benefit does doing that provide? It provides none except to allow some Windows guys to have their hands in my Apple deployments. That's about it. I see no need to ever let Intune be involved in managing my Apple deployments.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Intune, conditional access and Okta device trust and others are where the industry is going, secure access to cloud data and apps without VPN. It's not too much to expect that users are going to stop using services that require VPN and then demand a solution that doesn't require a VPN for those services.

Not using the VPN for O365 services is very big win for user experience, moving the Intune, conditional access was one of the most important "work goals/accomplishments" I have done.

C

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Intune has a ton of shortcomings, I know this because we use Intune to manage our Windows 10 devices. However, I completely agree that when Microsoft cares to fix all this stuff they will probably completely own the SSO/IdP + conditional access world because all of that tech is there in the Azure stack. Microsoft just has to mature it.