Jamf Dashboard can't be opened after upgrading MySQL 5.7 to 8.0

MBNS
New Contributor II
Hi Everyone,

I updated my MySQL database from 5.7 to 8.0 on my Jamf Server.

After this, I cannot open the Jamf dashboard page anymore. It shows an error "Database Connection Error, the following error was encountered, no database connection"

However, on the Jamf&database server, the Server Tools says that the connection is successful though, I just can't open the page. I have followed all the troubleshooting on Jamf article here: Troubleshooting Database Connectivity from the Jamf Pro Server - Technical Articles | Jamf, but no lucks.

Please help. Thank you very much!

My environment:
Windows server 2019
Jamf Pro 10.39.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MBNS
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I fixed the issue by doing the followings.

• I uninstalled the MySQL 8.0.28.0 which did not work.
  • I downloaded and installed MySQL 8.0.26.0. Once it was installed and set up, Tomcat can not be started with an error: Tomcat failed to restart the server Status 2". I did try some troubleshooting for this, but later decided to upgrade my Jamf from 10.39.0 to 10.40.0 (let the new installation of 10.40.0 fix the Tomcat issue).
  • After finished installing Jamf 10.40.0, Tomcat was running, but database was not running. I used the Server Tools to start database. Problem solved.
  • I still don't know the reason why it didn't work before, but doing the above fix the issue for me. Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MBNS
New Contributor II

No yet, my friend. this just happened today. I have sent an email to Jamf Support. I will let you know when I hear from Jamf support or have a solution.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

What specific version of MySQL 8.0 did you both upgrade to? Jamf only supports up to 8.0.28 as detailed here:

https://docs.jamf.com/10.40.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/System_Requirements.html

MBNS
New Contributor II

I upgraded to 8.0.28.0

Matt_Roy93
Contributor

Have you verified the DataBase XML file located in JSS/Tomcat/WebINF/XML was not reverted to a default value or changed after the update?  Also we experienced an issue and had to downgrade from 10.40 back to 10.38 due to some on-premise limitations and discovered the schema for the database tables was altered in the update resulting in me needing to torch the sql database and restore from backup, upon this JSS will load.   Hopefully something here helps you, Jamf Support has been less than ideal when dealing with hosted on-prem instances in my recent experience, seems they want everyone on Cloud.

MBNS
New Contributor II

Hi Matt, thanks for the advice. I did check the database.XML file. The values there are the correct new values. This is why database is connected successfully in Server Tools. However, no database connection through the web interface. Although my Jamf is working now, I still don't know the reason why it didn't work before.

MBNS
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I fixed the issue by doing the followings.

• I uninstalled the MySQL 8.0.28.0 which did not work.
  • I downloaded and installed MySQL 8.0.26.0. Once it was installed and set up, Tomcat can not be started with an error: Tomcat failed to restart the server Status 2". I did try some troubleshooting for this, but later decided to upgrade my Jamf from 10.39.0 to 10.40.0 (let the new installation of 10.40.0 fix the Tomcat issue).
  • After finished installing Jamf 10.40.0, Tomcat was running, but database was not running. I used the Server Tools to start database. Problem solved.
  • I still don't know the reason why it didn't work before, but doing the above fix the issue for me. Thanks everyone!