Jamf Parent

retroroscoe
Contributor

Hi,

Are there thoughts of pushing Jamf Parent to macOS devices as well?
I think a lot of parents at my school would like the ability to restrict student BYOD devices for their children.

4 REPLIES 4

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Agreed... I'm actually thinking a little beyond that as my teachers would like some simple control over the Macs.

KyleH
New Contributor
New Contributor

By "pushing Jamf Parent to macOS devices as well" do you mean:

1) Jamf Parent can have some control over macOS student devices?, or
2) Jamf Parent itself should run on macOS to have control over iOS student devices?

Regarding #1, we have not explored that very much. Are the student macOS devices enrolled in the school's MDM? You mention BYOD so I assume those Macs are not owned by the school. Do you install Self Service for macOS (if Jamf Pro) or the Student app (if Jamf School) on the student devices?

DianeN
New Contributor II

I too would like to give parents some level of control, on MacOS devices, outside of school hours. We use Mac laptops in the middle school and I can only offer up apps such as Kaspersky, which they have to buy on their own. Even if they buy a tool on their own I have to install it for them or create packages for Self-Service, because the students are not admins.

We use NetRef while they are in school so the teachers can control the devices in the classroom. We do not want to get in the business of providing a 3rd party tool for parents, which is why we chose NetRef, because it only works on our network. It would be nice if there was a simple tool through the JSS, that would allow parents to block certain sites and Internet as a whole during off-school hours.

GSquared
New Contributor II

This would be huge for us, we don't use iPads for one-to-one, we issue MacBook Airs (all enrolled in Jamf Pro.) This is the most requested thing from parents and we have to come up with random third party tools or setup and teach each parent that requests control over their child's device about parental controls. This is a lot of overhead for each request and Jamf Parent to manage the laptops would be amazing. @kyle.hammond

In addition, if it doesn't support macOS devices, please change your marketing wording to school-issued iOS devices as you make it sound like macOS is supported when saying school-issued device (we issue Macbook Airs.)

Edit: Feature request -- here