Jamf Pro 10.25.2 - Available Now

Garrett_Denney
New Contributor III

Today we are excited to deliver same-day support for Apple’s new Macs powered by the M1 chip, the first Apple-designed system on a chip (SoC) for Mac and part of the Apple Silicon family.

With Jamf Pro 10.25.2, you can adopt the new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini with confidence knowing that Jamf is compatible with these cutting-edge computers.

Please note: There is not a mass upgrade scheduled for this release.
Jamf Cloud customers can contact success@jamf.com to schedule an upgrade with our team. On-premises customers can find an installer for this version in the My Assets section of their Jamf Nation account.

Release notes for this update are available here.

10 REPLIES 10

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

Thanks. So does that mean that if we don't upgrade our cloud instance to 10.25.2 that the enrollment of Apple Silicon hardware is not possible?

Basically, is the intel based Jamf agent compatible enough via Rosetta to run on Apple Silicon or would we need the universal binary from the 10.25.2 update to make enrollment of Apple Silicon hardware a reality?

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey @fernando.gonzalez, thanks for the question.

This maintenance release of 10.25.2 solely includes a rebuilt version of our Jamf Management Framework on the recently released RC version of Xcode 12.

Rebuilding our Jamf Management Framework on Xcode 12 for Jamf Pro 10.25 will allow Automated Device Enrollment (AKA DEP) to be successful on the new Silicon hardware that ships without Rosetta. This is needed because Rosetta does not appear to be pre-installed as we originally observed earlier in the beta cycle.

Of course, the previous supported features of User Initiated Enrollment (UIE) and management of Big Sur already exists in 10.25.1.

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

@mike.paul thanks for the reply! I will ask our rep to schedule an upgrade of our instance then as we use DEP for all of our incoming Macs.

Utilizator
Contributor

Thanks for the update, I find it really weird that Rosetta 2 is not installed by default... had me stumped whilst testing my M1 machine with Jamf Pro until I got the command to install R2 from Terminal. I got a test M1 Mac that wasn't DEP enabled so I could manually enrol and observe any issues. The enrolment was "successful" but apart from 3 MDM profiles installing nothing else happened until I ran the following Terminal command:

/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license

Then it all kicked in and it fully enrolled and started pulling down Profiles etc.

It turns out our security vendor (Crowdstrike) is not going to make their sensor compatible with Apple Silicon until Q1 next year so we will have to wait until then before we start purchasing M1 machines. At least it gives me time to do some extensive testing :-)

kgam
Contributor

Apologies for maybe asking an obvious question but if we do not contact Jamf support and get this 10.25.2 update installed will all it's implemented features and bugs be available in the next automatic mass upgrade to Jamf Cloud?

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey @kgam, No worries, that is a super valid question to pose.

All of the things that are in Jamf Pro 10.25.2 are also included in 10.26 which is our next mass upgrade so you will get all the benefits then if you don't need them now.

Thanks!
Mike

kgam
Contributor

Thanks Mike! Much appreciated.

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

I got our cloud instance upgraded to 10.25.2 but I noticed that in the Packages section the architecture types still only lists PowerPC and Intel.

f5d1d56bc3464ef9ad118e4dee306538
I was hoping an ARM option would be available so that I could create policies containing packages that could easily be differentiated based on architecture.

For example, installing Intel based Google Chrome vs ARM based Google Chrome.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey @fernando.gonzalez, Thanks for the question. We had actually hoped to have that fully removed by the time we supported the new silicon hardware but that process of sunsetting that feature got delayed. We have no plans to update that for the new M1 chips.

I was explaining that in this feature request for the same thing: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/9899/limit-package-architecture-by-intel-or-apple-...

We would recommend the use of smart groups to accomplish this desired workflow.

Thanks

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

@mike.paul thanks for the heads up!