Jamf Pro Computer ID questions

tsukareru
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

I've noticed that when we sort via the Jamf Pro Computer ID, the devices are not in order. There are a couple of outliers which seem to have had their ID's reassigned.

We enrolled some new 2020/2021 devices, assigned i.e. 339,340,341
Only to see that some computers from 2017/2015 that we wiped have now got new Jamf Pro Computer IDs, i.e. 342,343

Does anybody know what might be causing this to happen?

We want to use the Jamf Pro Computer ID as a suffix for the computer name alongside the model, so we can easily identify which computer was assigned in a hardware agreement. But this prevents us from relying on the ID number.

Would appreciate any help or thoughts.

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@tsukareru the ID is when the device is enrolled, so when those devices we wiped and enrolled they got a new ID.

Do the old records exist for the devices? Has the UUID changed on them?

tsukareru
New Contributor

Hey @bentoms thanks for the info.
I am looking for the UUID history but I can't seem to find any changes or history. I was under the impression the UUID stayed with the device regardless (this post) ?

Is there another way to check the old records? Thanks!

EDIT: Just want to add that we sometimes manually re-enroll, which would explain why some have gone haywire?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Try via serial number, and also via the API (the swagger parts too)

The UUID can change due to things like hardware config changes.. or even sometimes wiping then laying down a new OS.

tsukareru
New Contributor

I just added an edit: Just want to add that we sometimes manually re-enroll, which would explain why some have gone haywire?

Usually an OS wouldn't change the UDID, at least I don't think it does.
Anyway, I think we need to adjust the scope for our DEPNotify script (we are making some adjustments to the whole process hence why we have some manual enrolments happening)