Jamf Pro OnPrem with own Hardware Vs VM

theelysium
New Contributor III

I was told by multiple reps that JAMF recommends to use it's own server hardware instead of using a VM environment. We have our JAMF on a VM, but its performance is abysmal. I'd like to move our JAMF to hit's own hardware and my boss agrees as long as I can show documentation that JAMF recommends it's own hardware of a VM environment.

I cannot find any document from JAMF that states these recommendations I get from reps on the phone. I checked the installation guides and it does not specify.

Anyone out there know if JAMF has use own hardware over vm as a written recommendation?

5 REPLIES 5

khey
Contributor

Is the performance bad because your jamf pro vm's host is being shared with many other VMs? perhaps if you vmotion your other VMs to other host/s and only running jamf pro in that host, is it still slow? this way, you are pretty much dedicate the CPU and RAM to your jamf pro (cant speak about your storage).

Is the performance slow when you are navigating the management console?

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Honestly, virtual of physical means next to nothing, just make sure your system is adequately spec'd.

All depends on the load. How many clients? What does your network look like?

We've run both. Zero difference noticeable, but we're not running a VM on an overloaded host.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

Running VMs here. As long as there is no resource contention on the host there should be no problems at all. The Guest OS doesn't know whether it is on physical hardware or virtualized.

wmehilos
Contributor

Echoing other voices here, just give your VM more resources if it's chugging. Also, you will definitely want to lock vmotion from moving the VM around, performance used to absolutely tank on mine until we stopped it jumping back and forth between hosts.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Just a note - everyone seems to be assuming VMWare here, but our implementation runs quite nicely on HyperV as well. Just reminding people to not make too many assumptions when offering specific suggestions for fixes :)